stihl 066 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrobert10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have recently just bought a stihl 066 and was wondering how do i check out the saw to insure it is in good shape i hear alot of talk about compression and checking the piston for scratches. I want to use the saw for milling so i really would like check this saw out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks rob

Take the muffler off shine a light into the cylinder and look at the back wall of the cylinder for scratches, also pull the starter cord gently and as the piston goes up and down check it for scratches. Also you can hold the saw by the pull cord if it holds itself up it has great compression, if it falls slowly it has ok compression, if it falls like that canadian chick messing up the USA national anthem at the hockey game you might as well rebuild it!

Good luck great saw!

Also, check the crank bearings, remove the starter cover, and clutch cover, try to wobble the crank side to side, if it moves, the saw needs bearings, if not, and everything else is go, you're in great shape. rotation is normal, assuming the outer race of the bearings isnt moving when you crank it.

I'm over in P.A. so I think you should let me come over and pick it up and let me run it for a few weeks and I'll get back to you on it's condition. :D Really though, everything mentioned above are the first things to check. If you're in good with your local dealer, or even if they're good people, you can take it into them, and they can check compression on a scale, vaccum test the case and pressure check the carb for a few bucks, and do it quickly, all in a few minutes. If they're not that good, you may have to leave it there overnight, and pay a little more for it. I don't know, my dealer does little stuff like that for me when I need it. Other than that, run it. If it starts, runs, and idles well, clutch engages and disengages properly, and the saw behaves itself in the cut, well then, it should be good to go. What you will see in saws from our area, is a saw that's had a top end rebuild-a new piston and cylinder, maybe a carb kit because it's been used hard by a pro and those are the first things to need replaced. What's left are bearing and seals getting ready to, or already gone. Like oldsaw said, try to wiggle the flywheel and clutch, and that will tell you about the bearings, and if you get the case pressure checked at a dealer, that'll tell you about the seals.

But my offer to come over and pick it up still stands... :laugh:

Jeff

it has compression release on it should the pull cord still hold the saw up. Because it really doesn't it drops slowly. I haven't taking the exhaust off yet but wil try to do it later today. I will let you kow what i find out.

Thanks again
Rob

If the decomp valve is closed then the cylinder should be airtight. "Should" be. It's supposed to close itself when the saw fires, and seal the cylinder. If you do have low compression and the piston and cylinder look good, there's other places to look. Could just be a set of rings, which would be alot better to deal with than a top end change. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Jeff

so the cylinder looks pretty good, i realized the compression release button was pushed down when i was trying to rope check it. The saw does drop but very very slowly. so hopefully it will last a while before it needs a rebuild

Thanks rob

That saw should drop a little bit-it's a heavy saw. I've got a 440 that I bought litterally last week brand new. Out of curiosity, I just now tried the handle check method, and it drops slowly. I've also got a 460 that has some hours on it, same thing. And my 361 which is in between the two as far as age, holds, and doesn't drop at all-it's much lighter. Of course the 056 drops. That thing weighs like 25 lbs with the bar on it. I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like you're good to go, just from what you've told us. Sounds like you've got a good saw there.

Jeff

This kind of tickles me :) A lot of folks talk about how heavy the old Macs and Homeys are,and this gent mentions the fact that the Stihl tips the scales at 25 lbs.Read and heed,oh ye of little faith. :blob2:

cord trick

I have an older 066 and mine does not drop down at all when the decompression valve is closed and I hold it upo by the cord my 036 pro does slowly but my ms 180 stays up their to.

I suppose every saw is different. I was just conveying to Rob that he probably needn't worry about his saw. I think the cord trick is a good indicator as to the "general" indication of the jug and piston, and not a replacement for getting actual compression numbers. It's a good guide. If the saw falls slowly or hesitates to fall, call it good. If it runs out the end of the starter cord, you got problems.

Jeff

Back