Stihl 066 RUD during milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

Quick update on this for anyone who might be interested / find this thread in the future.

After some back and forth with the Meteor importer here in the UK, I finally have a 'A' piston (and cylinder because they came as a set).

I have a question for anyone who might be able to help please:

I've attached an image of the original Stihl cylinder. I guess most of the marks were aluminium transfer as they sanded off. There's also some scratches on the cylinder (please see image attached).
Is it okay to reuse this cylinder?

Looking forward to getting it all back together and starting it up again!

Attachments

• IMG-5788.JPG
    IMG-5788.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hey,

Quick update on this for anyone who might be interested / find this thread in the future.

After some back and forth with the Meteor importer here in the UK, I finally have a 'A' piston (and cylinder because they came as a set).

I've attached an image of the original Stihl cylinder. I guess most of the marks were aluminium transfer as they sanded off. There's also some scratches on the cylinder (please see image attached).

Scratches below the port are no problem. However, there still seems to be some remaining transfer above the port which needs to be removed.

Hey,

Wet sand all the trash out above that port with 400 and send it. Do the port edges if you're finicky like me to make sure it doesn't scratch up the new ring faces.

Thank you, good to know and I'll get that remaining transfer removed above the port (and do the port edges too)!

Looking forward to updating here that it's all running again (fingers crossed!)

Thanks for the additional thoughts!

I've taken the piston off and the rod has no vertical play but does have a fair bit of lateral (horizontal) play, I'm guessing this is normal?

Also awaiting a carb kit to arrive and looking at pressure/vac testers (though would prefer to avoid the cost of a Mityvac if possible!).

I'll check the oil pump is working, I *think* the wire that drives the worm gear is okay but we'll see when I start it up.

Will also definitely be checking out how to set the carb up for milling - thanks for the tip.

I'll let you know how I get on with the repairs, fingers crossed!

For future reference, here's a couple of images of the piston (I've removed the rings):

Exhaust side
View attachment 1077491

Inlet side
View attachment 1077490
Treat yourself to a MityVac kit. I avoided doing so for years and fought with a cheapy import (Princess Auto) unit . My local NAPA had the MityVacs on sale in their flyer one day so I bit the bullet....best decision ever. You will find lots of other uses for it once you have one.

Latest posts

Back