Stihl 084 help sought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_Woodman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Stihl 084 which ran fine until I was sawing some bristlecone pine (heavy in resin). The bar and chain began to smoke and overheat, so I shut down the saw. After it had cooled I could not start it.

I checked for spark and was getting none. So I replaced the plug, and checked the short and ground wire (seemed fine). Still no spark.
I replaced the coil with a new coil, and found that I was getting spark sometimes. So I checked the spark leg and adjusted it a few times, also I checked the spark plug gap, and finally tested the resistance (ohm) on the ground wire (secondary coil winding) which tested to .960 (should be .7 - 1.0), and then the primary winding from the Spark plug wire/lead wire hood to the engine block which tested to 2.66 on my 2k ohm setting on the voltmeter.

According to the repair manual I need to be reading 7.7 - 10.3 and the repair manual says 'replace the coil'...well this coil is brand new, so I dont think that this is the most likely solution.

I sure would appreciate some experienced advice on what to do next. As it is I am ready to sell this saw, if I cant fix it, and buy a powerful mid-grade saw to replace it.

Thanks

If saw was running good up to the point of overheating, pop the muffler and see if you scored the piston (thermal overload). Can't see it being the trigger unit.

I agree with both of these guys. I would firstly take the muffler off and look in the exhaust port while pulling the starter cord up and down and look for ANY signs of a scored piston or broken ring?

Secondly bring the coil back to where you got it from and tell them it was junk.

Good luck!

P.S. You would get MANY more responses if you post this same question in the chainsaw fourm!

Back