Stihl 088 Air Filter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloch24

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Two questions actually... I don't know if I have the wrong filter on this saw, or if something is missing, but when I place the air filter over the carb intake, the filter does not completely seal against the housing. When I got the saw, there was some fine dust inside the filter and intake. I cleaned everything out, and put it back together thinking that maybe it was just installed wrong, but it still doesn't seal tight against the housing. I looked in the IPL for a gasket that might seal against the filter, but I didn't see anything. The bottom of the filter appears to be soft enough that it should seal without a gasket.

Second question. My MS440 has a similar filter, it has the pre-filter, the main filter, and then a foam insert inside of the main filter. Should I have this insert inside of my 088 filter? I looked in the IPL and didn't see any such insert. Oh, I guess I should mention that the filter says HD on it. I know there are two different filters available for this saw.

I don't want to cut with it until I get this straightened out. I just hope the previous owner didn't do any damage by running it this way.

Duh...

I think I just answered my own question... I just pulled the filter, and it appears to be the wrong part number. The part number on this filter is 0000 120 1601B.

Anyone know what saw this filter is for?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stihl 0000 120 1654 comes with pre filter and inside foam spit
back filter. The inside spit back filter is only used on 044/440,
If not using filter on 044/440 just toss inside filter, this same filter
is used on 044/440, 046/460, 066/660 and 088/880.

Gary

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gary

You use the foam IF your saws doesn't have the black plastic baffle... earlier 064/66 use the foam, maybe others.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gary

You use the foam IF your saws doesn't have the black plastic baffle... earlier 064/66 use the foam, maybe others.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:........... :)

Thanks

I got that number (1654) off the IPL... I was just looking at the IPL for the 044 and it shows the same number but it SHOWS the foam insert.

The only other question I have is, in the 044 IPL on the last page with the accessories, it shows a bottle of HD air filter oil. I thought I read on the HD filter that I have now, NOT to oil it. I realize that this is the wrong filter for this machine, but am I to oil the 088 filter? For that matter, should I get some oil and oil the 044 filter?

I guess I should look in the manual.. :) Oh well, I already asked, I'll let it fly.

Thanks for all the info!

Manual Instructions..

I just looked at the manual for the 044 and it specifically states NOT to "impregnate" the filter with oil... in fact, that's the only mention of filter oil in the manual... should the pre-filter be oiled

Why is it NOT good to use the HD filter in the winter?

Stupid questions I guess, but if I'm going to buy a new filter for this saw, I'd rather not have to buy a new one when the temperature drops... I'm just a firewood guy and don't use the saw every day, so a filter should last a LONG time.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Your manual was printed in a different era. The oil filters have long gone..

The 1654 has a 'NO OIL" symbol on it... Oil it and it's toast.

Latest posts

Back