Stihl 08S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl post hole digger some time ago. It had many parts missing from the engine. I figured it was easier to buy an old 08S and replace the engine. So I did, but to my surprise, the 08S I got is different from the one on the digger. The one I bought for replacement seems to be older and has a sort of air governor whilst the one on the digger does not.
The starter on the older 08S on the digger now, has a few bits missing from the grill and I would like to buy another starter but don't know what model to quote to find the part. If I just say 08S they will get me the newer version. Is there a better way to describe this part?

Thank you
Marc

Last edited:
I bought a Stihl post hole digger some time ago. It had many parts missing from the engine. I figured it was easier to buy an old 08S and replace the engine. So I did, but to my surprise, the 08S I got is different from the one on the digger. The one I bought for replacement seems to be older and has a sort of air governor whilst the one on the digger does not.
The starter on the older 08S on the digger now, has a few bits missing from the grill and I would like to buy another starter but don't know what model to quote to find the part. If I just say 08S they will get me the newer version. Is there a better way to describe this part?

Thank you
Marc

The air governor protects your engine from overrevving and will not harm the operation on the hole digger, so you can just leave it on.

I don't know what part you are referring to on the starter. Can you describe the parts you need ?

The air governor protects your engine from overrevving and will not harm the operation on the hole digger, so you can just leave it on.

I don't know what part you are referring to on the starter. Can you describe the parts you need ?
I need the whole starter cover since the air intake is in bad shape missing parts on the grill and one can fit a finger through the holes easy.
The problem is that it appears to be two models both 08S ... one has the air governor and the other does not and the starter covers are different.

sent me a pm with email address and I'll sent you the IPL of that saw. There were indeed differences in the starter assy.
you can identify the parts you need then.

Latest posts

Back