Stihl 090AV - Real or fake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasser82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This came up late last night. Trying to determine if it looks like a fake or not. Thoughts? The torx head screw on top cover got me wondering.

If not then it's a great buy I'd say!

"Professional Stihl 090 AV chainsaw for sale. The 090 has a displacement of 137cc (8.36 cubic inches) and a hp rating of 8.5. It comes with two bars: 36" and 24". It also comes with 5 chains: 2 x 36" and 3 x 24" (one is brand new). The chainsaw wasn't used much and in great condition."

Please view this ad:

Stihl Professional chainsaw,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android
Price: $ 1,100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
https://tinyurl.com/9x9f4jd
1ed44c37cd8d3eb44af359e78fd9a7bd.jpg
51d4be78ebc4e36052d9379e98f282f1.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Torx and hex are common motorsports replacement screws; yeah they get jammed full of mud and junk, but they dont have the problem that slot and Phillip's do.

Usually they sit proud though due to the extra head height.

I dont know enough about the 090 to gauge it, but I am guessing it was used for milling and he didnt want to turn the bar back over for pictures?

About nine years ago I sold one to a hobbyist who wanted to make it run again. I had bought it from a sawmill for about $400 and it had not been used in five years. It's weight was massive and that's primarily why it lay dormant. They had converted to MS660 and MS880 saws. I believe the muffler was also missing. The hobbyist gave me $450 for it, and I never heard from him again.

Thanks guys - seller just informed me it has been sold. Someone got a nice saw!

I have that very same saw plus 3 more non AV ones, they are very heavy and not used much unless milling or bucking very large trees up into firewood lengths.

Ya, I would have used it for milling as well. Can fully understand why they aren't an everyday machine for most.

I''ve been more intrigued with them lately from a collector's perspective as well as I'm about to start restoring/rejuvenating 2 Contra/Lightnings and curious to see the evolution (and just to have such a behemoth!)

Cheers!
6f9f38b0f0ac16badecb64fb69aa4d01.jpg

Ya, I would have used it for milling as well. Can fully understand why they aren't an everyday machine for most.

I''ve been more intrigued with them lately from a collector's perspective as well as I'm about to start restoring/rejuvenating 2 Contra/Lightnings and curious to see the evolution (and just to have such a behemoth!)

Cheers!
6f9f38b0f0ac16badecb64fb69aa4d01.jpg

I have one of them sitting in a crate waiting for me to assemble it, its a Super so a bit more rare.

Latest posts

Back