Stihl 100' Spool Cost Increases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blade

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Look I'm aware that Stihl chain is expensive here in Australia, in fact there has been two massive price hikes this year alone.

In the past buying in bulk 100' spools did afford you some substantial reduction, however Stihl appear to have recently pushed spool prices through the roof over here, virtually making bulk Stihl spools of chain no longer a viable option. Even more so when you consider we can purchase genuine Husqvarna branded chain spools at half the cost of Stihl spools.

What's worse is the new cost of preformed chain loops. Stihl recommended retail price for dealers has now hit a record AUD $1.10 per drive link (or approximately USD $0.83 per drive link).

So more of a curiosity than anything else, but what the current price in the US for say a 100'spool of Stihl 3/8 x 063 Rapid Micro ?

That dl price is ridiculous, I'm considering buying a roll of husky chain but haven't got round to getting some prices yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

I'm staggered that you guys pay round US$300 per spool (approximately AU$375) for Stihl chain.

The list price for a 100' spool of Stihl over here is AU$970, which is approximately US$705.

I've never purchased a roll of Stihl chain but I use a lot of it and do think it's as good or better than anything else out there. That said, I pay about $300 per 100' roll plus or minus $50 for Oregon, Laser, Windsor, etc. I have a decent stock right now so would only buy something I don't already have.
When I sell saws, I usually put new aftermarket bars on them and when I buy the bars I usually get them as a bar/chain combo as that's the cheapest way to get chain.

Is the cost difference mainly due to availability and shipping?
This thread is about chain, but it seems in general stuff in Australia is quite expensive.

I know up here in Alaska while we are "supposed" to be part of the US, prices are generally higher.
Some of it because of the shipping, some of it because the "have no choice"... that's diminished quite a bit with the internet though, where it's very easy to price check.

We don't have things like the dollar menu at McDonalds, no such thing as $5 footlong at Subway (more like $7).
Fuel costs are some of the highest in the US, even though we have really low fuel taxes and the darn oil comes from here.
My neighbor bought a new diesel 1 ton truck and it was cheaper by almost $10,000 to buy it in the L48 and have it shipped up vs buying at a local dealer.

I've been looking at the same thing, doubly so as one of my preferred chains - 23rs - is unavailable in Aus.
Shipping seems to vary from $70-$120 usd.
So we are looking at up to $450usd landed, or $613 aud.
It's really got to be a chain that has significant advantages over Carlton/Oregon to bother. For me that's only a couple of chain types.

Yeah I like the carlton chizle chain. But they don't make a lo pro full chiz for top handle saws
I've been looking at the same thing, doubly so as one of my preferred chains - 23rs - is unavailable in Aus.
Shipping seems to vary from $70-$120 usd.
So we are looking at up to $450usd landed, or $613 aud.
It's really got to be a chain that has significant advantages over Carlton/Oregon to bother. For me that's only a couple of chain types.

Back