Counterfeit Chains...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi Fellas.
Relatively new here but am in Australia (where we get ripped off for everything compared to you guys in the US :) ).
Recently ordered some supposedly Carlton Chains from the US in numerous lengths, both 3/8 Low Profile (N1C-54E, N1C-44E, N1C-50E) and 3/8" normal (A1LM-60E).
I had ordered some 54DL LP chains for my McCulloch 2316AV (as I had 2 new Oregon bars ordered locally but found that they wouldn't fit despite Oregon's recommendations - a 56DL bar, 160SDEA041 ended up being a perfect match AFTER ordering the chains).
Anyway, the business concerned was great to deal with, very friendly and reputable etc, but today I took the chains to the local Stihl agent and was going to sacrifice one of my 6 wrong chains to lengthen the other five to 56DL. The local dealer rang me and said it wasn't worth it as they were cheap Chinese chains and not even worth the price of two joiners (he is a bit of a peanut though!).
The 3/8LP chains have "N1" stamped on the drive link and the standard 3/8" chains have "A1" stamped on the drive link and to be honest the finish of the chains are nowhere near the Oregon 91VS chains I have previously purchased. The cutting edge also has a finish about the same as I can get with my bench chain grinder and not "polished" like other new chains I've bought. The links also seem to bind a bit although I'm sure they'd wear in quick.
Nowhere on any of the 25 chains I ordered is Carlton written although the boxes have "Made in USA" on them.
Had a look on the Carlton website and their chain ID pictures seem to have Carlton stamped (superimposed?) on the tie straps with everything else EXACTLY the same as the chains I purchased.
Landed the chains in Australia for around AUD$14 per chain inc. freight - same chains here are from AUD$35-45!
Just curious if anybody would have any input or information about the likelihood of these chains being counterfeit? I've had a good run buying stuff online from the US but despite only around AUD$310 being involved I am concerned that I may have finally been stung!
Have also just ordered a Dolmar PS-7900 from the US + spare 20" bar, sprockets, and 5 extra chains and despite our weak dollar I will land it here for less than half the cost of buying one in Oz. This never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for any replies/help/information. I won't name the chain supplier though but the business is well known on eBay with 99.8% feedback and nearly 2000 deals. Until the Stihl supplier opened his mouth I was not concerned at all but he has probably made me a bit over suspicious :)

Matt.

Last edited:
That really ammounts to fraud on those chains Matt - Up to you, but I'd start making some waves with the seller, ebay, or wherever you can. If the add said Carlton chain, thats wht you should have got. If no one does anything, the seller just continues ripping people off.

Hey Matt, could you PM me the name or link of the ebay seller please,
i buy chainsaw parts from the US and would be interested to know who the
seller is.

cheers gmax

Thanks for the reply fellas. Just thought I'd better state that I'm not sure these chains are actually fake yet, which is why I posted as much info as I can so possibly someone who has had a lot more experience with Carlton chains (ie: a dealer) may know more than me. For instance, if all Carlton chains have "Carlton" stamped on them these are definate fakes.
I'm also a bit worried that the cutting edge has a finish no better than my $110 chain grinder can produce (unlike every other factory new chain I've seen). Maybe Carlton have a cheaper line of chains?
The local Stihl dealer has probably made me a bit paranoid by saying they were cheap Chinese chains and not worth joining but he also might have hoped I'd buy six of his $40 Stihl chains instead!

Hey gmax (I'm from the Riverland so not far away from you).
I've got no problem revealing the name of the Ebayer which I will if they are definate fakes and will if they are definately not (as I'd deal with him again anytime). He was a great guy to deal with, very friendly, and went out of his way to help which is why I am having a hard time believing they're fakes. Unfortunately I deal with a lot of imported golf equipment and am well aware that if somebody can make it, the Chinese can copy it, and even the original manufacturer may have trouble telling if it's fake.

I'd really just like to know if the Chinese have decided to copy chainsaw chains yet as they've copied everything bloody else :)

Carlton chains have "Carlton" stamped on every tie strap (except privately branded chains mfg'd by Carlton, of course).

Carlton boxes we have here say "Made in the USA" right on the box.

Thanks for the reply. Definately no Carlton on the straps but the boxes do have Made In USA on them. Would still like to hear back from a few other members to confirm a few things as I'd rather not look like an idiot if I take it further and am proven wrong :(

Thanks kuhndog. As mentioned earlier every mark/ID on the chain is there except Carlton which has me a bit worried after Edge And Engine's reply (thanks), but like I said, anything can be copied now by China, just hoping they haven't got into chainsaw chains yet :)

Carlton chains have "Carlton" stamped on every tie strap (except privately branded chains mfg'd by Carlton, of course).

Carlton boxes we have here say "Made in the USA" right on the box.

OK, so the boxes are made in the USA........:popcorn: :givebeer:

The Carlton chains I got from an AS member has an OK finish, not crude at all.

Of course, some unstamped tie-straps could have slipped trough, but hardly for two different chain models at the same time........

OK, so the boxes are made in the USA........:popcorn: :givebeer:

Hmmm. He may have me on a technicality there :)

The finish on the chains certainly won't mean they perform poorly and they're certainly sharp enough just not up to the standard I've seen from Oregon even though I'd been led to believe Carlton were as good or better.

You're right though about the Carlton stamps, if they do actually have Carlton stamped on every tie strap on their own chains then the chances of two types of chain getting through unstamped would be, um, stuff all.

Matt, I would email carlton & attach a macro photo of the chain, they would know if their fake, if they are fake inform carlton of who the seller is.

Hopefully carlton will complain to ebay about fake chains being sold which should
see the seller banned.

Last edited:
Carlton and other manufactuers makes akk kinds of "No name" chains.
Others make same chain with 10 names on it.

The stamps on the tiestap doesn't say much.

The fact that you got wrong chains can not be blamed on manyfactuer, it is seller and buyer that should figure out what they need.

Hi,

I have been reading the above messages regarding carlton chains and am now worried even more about a brand new Stihl bar and brand new Calton chain that I just bought of Ebay from an Australian guy.

The bar paint is dull (a matt finish rather than a gloss finish) and the stihl logo seems to have slight (very slight) oversprayed edges.

The packet the bar came in was card board and said STIHL but had no "made in.." or part numbers or anything on it. Maybe it was just a wholesale packet or something?

Other than that I cant see any problems with it.

I will check the chain for the carlton name stamped on it.

Regards

Michael

I took the 6 undersize Carlton chains to a Husky dealer today while away for work to get lengthened. He didn't have a problem with them and although he deals in Oregon he believes they're the real deal.
That made me feel better and he charged me half the price that the idiot from Stihl was going to charge. Thumbs up Husky guy :)
The only thing that has me worried is the lack of CARLTON on the chains but oh well, for the price I got them for even if they are Chinese copies and last a day they'll pay for themselves.
Can't help you Michael regarding the Stihl bar but EVERY Stihl bar I've ever seen has had some form of ID stamped into it that you can't miss, don't worry if its not on the packet but get worried if its not on the bar. I've seen Stihl bars delivered in folded up sheets of plain cardboard before, even the Stihl dealers get them like this :)

Last edited:
consider going with a 100ft roll of chain .... chain breaker and spinner tool... much cheaper!

consider going with a 100ft roll of chain .... chain breaker and spinner tool... much cheaper!

Am already considering that actually :)
Thanks for the advice and may get all those goodies when my Dolmar rocks up. What do joiners cost out of interest?

Hi,

I have been reading the above messages regarding carlton chains and am now worried even more about a brand new Stihl bar and brand new Calton chain that I just bought of Ebay from an Australian guy.

The bar paint is dull (a matt finish rather than a gloss finish) and the stihl logo seems to have slight (very slight) oversprayed edges.

The packet the bar came in was card board and said STIHL but had no "made in.." or part numbers or anything on it. Maybe it was just a wholesale packet or something?

Other than that I cant see any problems with it.

I will check the chain for the carlton name stamped on it.

Regards

Michael

I have read that most "Stihl bars" sold in Australia are rebadged GB bars, and "GB chain" is rebadged Carlton - so I am not really surpriced.......

Latest posts

Back