Stihl 192T recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
quick question, my saw falls under the recall numbers, does anyone know if Stihl (or the dealer) is likely to fix the problem or replace the saw?

ps, if anyone know a quick/easy way to get more power out of this saw please help

thanks

Sizzle-Chest said:
quick question, my saw falls under the recall numbers, does anyone know if Stihl (or the dealer) is likely to fix the problem or replace the saw?

ps, if anyone know a quick/easy way to get more power out of this saw please help

thanks

They fix it... And do it 'cos the clutch may be on backwards and the fuel may leak...

More power quickly ? Hmmm, trade it on a 200T?:)

Lakeside53 said:
More power quickly ? Hmmm, trade it on a 200T?:)

Ouch!!!!!! I enjoy my 192t, would like just a little more "omph" starting the cut, but other than that happy with it. You are not alone Sizzle.
I think it's a great saw, and would not trade the power of the 200 for the weight, take a 260 up if you want more power for the same weight!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Ouch!!!!!! I enjoy my 192t, would like just a little more "omph" starting the cut, but other than that happy with it. You are not alone Sizzle.
I think it's a great saw, and would not trade the power of the 200 for the weight, take a 260 up if you want more power for the same weight!
Andy

Same weight?

someone told me to drill a 10mm metal-bit up into the muffler and it would run like a 200T, but i got no idea if its really that simple

OK, Ok, I boned that one! (got the cat. out)

Lakeside53 said:
Same weight?

The 200 just feels a lot heavier that that! My husky 350 even feels lighter, I guess it's just the ballance of it. You even have to admit the 192 balances nice in youre hand!!!!!!! It just sucks it has the same power as you're average poulan!
Andy

sawinredneck}and would not trade the power of the 200 for the weight said:
Have you ever run a 200? I don't mean to be a smart :censored: , but the 200(T) is a machine. I'm continually amazed at that saw's power and what it can do when asked to. The 192 is a fine saw, but I'd not trade it's weight for it's power. Have you had problems one-handing (for comparison purposes only, of course...) a 200T? It's a superb saw in every way.

Myself, I'd compare the 192T/200T to a 390/440 or even 460 ratio. The 390 is a fine saw in it's intended role...until you run a 440 or 460.

(The 192 has a horizontally split polymer case, right? I thought I remembered seeing that on the ones I've handled.)

All of that said, you've got a fine saw in the 192T. Use it and use it well. When it came time for me to buy a climbing saw, I was very close to buying the 192, but well...we see how that turned out...

Jeff

Again Jeff, you astound me with intelect!! No I have not run the 200, $200 price difference, ya know? Again; I am but a measly "weekend warior" so the price vs. pds. vs hp. won out again. I have no doubt as to the worthiness of the 200, otherwise they would never sell! (much like the JD JX75, who would pay $700 for a push mower? Buy one and understand!!!!) And a saw like that, I really apreciate light, and lighter is even better!! It suits it intended purpose just fine, I just ask for a little more starting the cut, thats all.:)
Andy

fishhuntcutwood said:
Not sure how to take that...:monkey:

Be proud, again you remain one of the few "voices of reason" on this site. Yes, that is a compiment, not sarcasim!
Andy

(someday I have got to learn to type!!!!)

Last edited:
there is 2 recall notices that dealers got that is covered in the warranty...one is listed above and the other is the key in the flywheel strips easily (changed 2 in the last month)

Husky nut said:
there is 2 recall notices that dealers got that is covered in the warranty...one is listed above and the other is the key in the flywheel strips easily (changed 2 in the last month)

Are you saying you got a recall notice that the flywheel key strips? or are you getting this from the general information they put out for many saws warning of using the correct torque and to first degrease the stub? The flywheel keys in the 192, and many of the newer saws including the 361 has almost zero shear strength (just a tiny tab of cast aluminum for positioning only). Any excess torque applied to the crank shaft can spin the flywheel and shear the key, but it has to be excessive. This can come for two sources: the factory / repair shops (or end user repairs) or some mechanical shock like the jambing of a chain at full power (the flywheel tries to continue turning). The later is unlikely to have any effect unless the flywheel was installed incorrectly to begin with...

One of the problems was that some of the clutches were assembled incorrectly, and it's my opinion (just an educated guess) that subsequent flywheel issues are often caused by the removal of the clutch without the use of a piston stops (I'm also guilty... but haven't stripped out a flywheel key 'cos I use the small impact tool ), or the reassembly without degreasing of the stub and flywheel.

the 2 i changed where factory defects (either improperly torqued or so on)...These stripped while trying to start them with in a month of the sale date on them...

Latest posts

Back