Stihl 192T won't stay running/idling when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought (and paid too much for) a fairly new 192T off of CL yesterday. It is a very clean saw, obviously not much use but the chain that is on the bar is dull as a butterknife and there's one laying in the case in the same shape.

It took several pulls to get it cranked (the guy selling it says it has been sitting in the case after only being used 2-3 times) but it will crank fairly easy with the high throttle position. It will not crank in normal throttle position when hot and it will not stay idling. It runs weak when at full throttle when hot.

Air filter was pretty clean. Took the plug out and it is brown on the ceramic, gap is very tight and cleaning it with sandpaper didn't help.

What are the possible causes?

I knew I should have just went and bought a new one. Karma will visit this AH that sold me this saw like this!

Thanks for any info.

I usually have fresh gogo juice. I always tell my wife I need to get more gas. She says didn't you just get some. Yeah I need more

Ok....

I was able to go by the Stihl Dealer yesterday morning and took this 192 in and they fixed it while I watched/waited. They put a new plug in (I knew it needed that), emptied the gas, put new in and adjusted the carb.

I didn't realize that there was water in the gas. There wasn't much fuel in the saw when I bought it, I put some of my gas mix in when I got it home. Must have been all water in there when I bought it. Bought a new chain for it, it runs like a scalded dog now. Used it for some tree-trimmin yesterday and it ran fine. I really like this saw for lightweight trimming/etc. The ability to use it one-handed is nice...and I can see where it can be dangerous as hell.

I dropped off an 024 AVS that I bought last week that runs high at idle and needs to be gone-through for me to want to use it all the time. I really want to get this saw running right and be dependable because I think it has the same bar, sprocket and chain on it as my 026 Pro. I have 6 chains for the 026 and would like to simply have the same setup on 2 saws to maintain.

The 192 has the same bar and chain on it as my pole saw...I like that, too. Now I have a "spare" bar (on the other tool) and 5 chains total for those two now.

The first thing the service folks said to me after I told them what was happening with the 192 was "it's probably burnt up"....I am glad that was not the case. The coil was fine, too. They said that it would not crank back up after it getting up to temp if the coil was bad.

Back