Stihl 201 CEM BAR/CHAIN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Justice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are most fortunate to have a new Stihl 201 donated to our Disaster Response Team. Saw will always be on the ground - primarily limbing. All our work is at ground elevation. Came w 14 bar. I would welcome suggestions on best bar and chain for that purpose. Thank you! My goto saws going fw will be this lightweight gem and the trusty 261! The 461 and 661 for the younger guys… ha ha! Thank you!

Assuming the bar you've got runs the 3/8" low profile chain, I would just run with that bar. Until such a time that the people running the saw feel they would benefit by something different.

Roy

Thank you. It is 3/8 LP. Used first time this weekend in poplar, black gum and maple. Cuts thru 3-6” limbs like butter…. wondering if anyone runs a 16 on theirs?

3/8P 1.3, they have the lightweight bar, really helps your wrists, especially if your running 14" bar.

Ah, replies have just come up.
Ok, if you need 16", then use a larger saw, like a 261 for example.
14" is plenty for a top handle, I prefer 12"

Yep… I used the 261 to drop and buck em … also dug out the 211 and 291 as well…. Which quickly reminded me why I like the 261!!

I would advise you do not use a th saw on the ground. Many will disagree with me I’m sure, but they are so much more dangerous compared to a rear handle saw.
My th saws all have 14”
lightweight Stihl bars, the perfect length imo.

I am not positive if you have the MS 201 (rear handle version) or the MS 201T (top handle version).
The rear handle saw can easily handle a 16" B&C. The longer bar gives more reach, and the longer chain means more time cutting before needing sharpening (yet longer sharpening time).
As mentioned above, the top handle version has less "control" due to the shorter distance between your hands when operating the saw, and it might be smart to keep the 14" B&C setup.

Ours is a rear handle. Thank you.
That is an excellent limbing saw.
I expect that if you put a 16" B&C setup on the saw, your team will fight over who gets to use it.
One of the main advantages of a light saw, is that you don't get as tired when using it, and it is therefore less dangerous... And you still have full control of where and how you want to cut.
Once apon a time my brother and I were part of a work party to build a proper lean-to out of large clean cedar logs. We brought our Stihl 020AVP with a 16" B&C.
To put it nicely, by day 3 all the guys left their bigger saws in their pickups and only used the 020AVP to cut the notches for the logs to fit on top of each other.

Latest posts

Back