Stihl 201T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jramsay28

Reaction score
Found a 201T with only a few hours of use on it. Perfect condition for $350. Sounded like a hell of a deal to me, what do you all think? Any suggestions on preventative maintenance or mods that should be done? This is my first pro saw so just wondering if there is anything I don't know to be doing. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 26
Found a 201T with only a few hours of use on it. Perfect condition for $350. Sounded like a hell of a deal to me, what do you all think? Any suggestions on preventative maintenance or mods that should be done? This is my first pro saw so just wondering if there is anything I don't know to be doing. Thanks in advance.
I would wait till these guys weigh in . The early ones may not be as good as the newer ones now coming out.

The older 201t's are not a good as the newer ones. The original 201t's were low on power. I think that replacing the carb will make the 201t as good as or better than the 200t. $350 is a good deal, and you may be able to get the upgrades made for not too much money. If you walk away with an almost new ms201t and get only $450 into it I would go for it.

The older 201t's are not a good as the newer ones. The original 201t's were low on power. I think that replacing the carb will make the 201t as good as or better than the 200t. $350 is a good deal, and you may be able to get the upgrades made for not too much money. If you walk away with an almost new ms201t and get only $450 into it I would go for it.
When you say older and newer what time frame (or serial number ) are you referring too?

On the older ones you need to advance the timing 6° and mod the muffler and it'll out cut a 200T.

The new MTronic ones rip right outta the box but when both saws are modded the older ones can be tuned to run a little stronger.

$350 sounds like a good deal to me

I bought one of the first ones to hit the shelves. It was an absolute POS. It would stall constantly and took forever to warm up. I walked into the store where I bought to complain for the 100th time and the rep from Stihl happened to be there. He told them to replace the carb. It has significantly improved, but the 200t is still the first climbing saw we reach for every time.

I believe Reg Coates has done the easiest mod on them. Run that thing over with the truck.
Seriously though a timing advance and muffler mod work wonders for it. The original run had carb issues also. After buying one of the originals I was so disappointed I had a pair of worn out 200's rebuilt. Barely touch the 201 now. Need to drop it off at the saw guys shop for some tweeking. I can't wait to get ahold of the m-tronic to hopefully find a new top handle worth using.

Back