stihl 261 and 362 crank problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just ignore the rod bearing failures as I have convinced myself they are a separate unrelated issue caused by operator error and lack of lubrication.

I have seen the same wear on the crank on husky/partner 371k, k750, k760 saws but that is a whole different ball game. concrete dust and a belt that is tightened way beyond what is even possible with a chainsaw.

Clutch Bearing problems:
Another possible cause is they are applying chain brake and letting saw idle for extended period of time. Out here they tell the chainsaw operators to apply the chain brake when moving from one area to another, instead of shutting saw off and then restarting it.

Clutch Bearing problems:
Another possible cause is they are applying chain brake and letting saw idle for extended period of time. Out here they tell the chainsaw operators to apply the chain brake when moving from one area to another, instead of shutting saw off and then restarting it.
Possibly, but more likely chain too tight, like Randy said. And lack of lube at the clutch bearing.

supervisor was in today with yet a different 261. same problem so I spent some time asking questions.
he supervises anywhere from 7-10 3 man crews. every crew is having the same problems.
saws are essentially assigned to 1 guy until they go in for service and are handed a spare that becomes their saw until service time. service time is when it will no longer run. rarely do they bring one in that still runs but just doesn't run right
idle time is minimum. if they walk more than 10-15 feet the saw gets shut off and restarted.
if they are dragging brush the saws get shut off
they do use the chain brake religiously
stihl oil with 93 octane gas from whatever gas station is on their way to the job that day. 50:1.
all saws run 3/8 chain with 18" bar on the 261 and 20" on the 361/362
no maintenance in between replacement of the clutch drum. when a new drum and bearing go on they grease the bearing and it doesn't come apart again till it gets replaced. no idea what kind of grease. unless red counts as a brand
stihl parts only. no AM. not even drums/sprockets or bearings.

supervisor was in today with yet a different 261. same problem so I spent some time asking questions.
he supervises anywhere from 7-10 3 man crews. every crew is having the same problems.
saws are essentially assigned to 1 guy until they go in for service and are handed a spare that becomes their saw until service time. service time is when it will no longer run. rarely do they bring one in that still runs but just doesn't run right
idle time is minimum. if they walk more than 10-15 feet the saw gets shut off and restarted.
if they are dragging brush the saws get shut off
they do use the chain brake religiously
stihl oil with 93 octane gas from whatever gas station is on their way to the job that day. 50:1.
all saws run 3/8 chain with 18" bar on the 261 and 20" on the 361/362
no maintenance in between replacement of the clutch drum. when a new drum and bearing go on they grease the bearing and it doesn't come apart again till it gets replaced. no idea what kind of grease. unless red counts as a brand
stihl parts only. no AM. not even drums/sprockets or bearings.
Sounds like typical use of any tool...

idk I gave up and am just going to take the work. getting pretty good at installing cranks in 261/362. I am giving them a 5105 to run and compare. We will find out soon enough if it is the operator or the saw.

well I am hoping its just a user issue too. not the biggest stihl fan but I hate to see a once great brand sacrifice the quality they have been known for just for the sake of a few extra dollars profit

I don't use the brake when starting but if the saw isn't in wood the brake is on

There have been quite a few complaints by pros here in the german threads about the missing factory lubrication of the clutch bearing and the subsequent defekt of the crank shaft! So the problem seems to swap over to the US! Wasn't expecting it. Quite a few had crank shafts replaced under warrenty!

So always precheck your new saw before it's first outing.

To be honest something I have done with all my new equipment, independant of the brand!

They are pretty dry when new. When I take a new Stihl out of the box I have started to put grease on the clutch bearing as I assemble the saw.

Just an update to this thread. sent 3 more saws back today with bad cranks. 1 was a 362C, 1 362 standard. those were returned to the owner with bad big end bearings. 1 caused by debris. 261 was sent back to them still running fine with good compression and still has machine marks on original piston but crank is so bad that a new clutch bearing lasts a day or 2 before needing replaced.

That sucks. Wonder how many other ones not just in your area are going through that?

How did the 5105 hold up for them?

this is the 261 with a bad crank. not nice and taken care of but not ragged out for a saw that sees daily use for the last 6 months

AS 006.JPG AS 009.JPG AS 008.JPG

Back