Stihl 261 or Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eiler2641

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a new lighter weight saw and I am stuck between these two models. If any one has either saw your input would much appreciated.

I really dont think you would go wrong either way. Both great saws. I have a 261, never ran a 346xp, but i dont like outboard clutches. Just my opinion.

See if you can try both out and make your descision.

You are not going to go wrong with either of them! They are both great performers and both very reliable. When it comes to 50cc saws, you are probably going to get more votes for the 346xp. In a nutshell, it is legendary, and it's reputation follows it. You are gonna have guys say that one outperforms the other, etc.... but the truth is, the performance of these 2 saws is so close that it will make absolutely no difference unless you are racing saws. And I assume you are not racing saws..... so...... the ONLY way to make this decision is to pick each of them up, and see which feels better in your hands! I am a Husky man, so in my opinion, the 346xp is not the only great 50cc saw but I think it's the best!! :rock::rock::rock:
Good luck in your choice!!

Both good saws.

261 a bit larger, a bit heavier and a big more torque.

346xp, a bit smaller, a bit lighter and a bit less torque.

I've been using a 346xp since 2001 and love the dang thing!

Indiansprings will be along shortly...:msp_tongue:

I don't have a 261 but I have both the MS260 and the 346xp and prefer the 260. I may be in the minority here, but I don't find the handling and power advantage that the 346 fans cite to be significant, and certainly not enough to outweigh how much easier the 260 is to clean, swap chains, just generally live with.

I was felling a dead tree for firewood when the tree sat back on my bar. I was lucky to have a saw with a inboard clutch, I loosened up the bar nuts loosened up the chain then removed the power head from the stuck bar and chain. I used my backup saw to finish cutting down the tree which fell over the top of my bar, when the dust settled I picked up my bar expecting it to be bent and was pleasantly surprised to see that all that was wrong was some missing paint. I put the bar and chain back on the saw and rolled the chain over the bar to make sure the rails were not pinched then fired up the saw and finished cutting my firewood. That bar and chain are still on my saw and still cutting firewood, I am confident that the quality put into this saw is the reason why all I ended up with was some missing paint.
Photo0038.jpg

I don't have a 261 but I have both the MS260 and the 346xp and prefer the 260. I may be in the minority here, but I don't find the handling and power advantage that the 346 fans cite to be significant, and certainly not enough to outweigh how much easier the 260 is to clean, swap chains, just generally live with.

I feel about the same regarding the old edition xp, but the NE did impress me with significant power gains. Just about every Stihl I use or used lines up with my body more comfortably with what most my work is, cutting firewood or the like. I havent used a 261 yet but if I were to go out to buy a new 50 to 55 cc that was going to see a lot of use, I am pretty sure I'd select the 261.

Lots of threads on this subject, I tried a 346xpne for a little over a year in a commercial firewood operation, they are a good saw, prolly the most overhyped saw on AS in stock form.
I bought a 261 when they first came out, the 346 just sat, last Saturday added a second 261 to the operation. They are 9oz heavier, imho pretty easy to see why, they are a rock solid saw, air filteration is the best of any saw on the market, in our opinion a much more useable power band, torquier, don't have to keep it screaming wot to get the most out of it, the 261 has the inboard clutch, a real sized chain tension screw, not a micro screw, the 261 has captive bar nuts and the even better the MS261 is made in the USA by skilled American workers, at the Virginia Beach, VA plant. Imho the Stihl bar that comes with the 261 is also a higher quality bar than the rebadged oregon that comes on the 346xpne. The 261 also comes standard with a stainless steel mufffler. The 346xpne was the best 50cc saw I had run until we got the 261's in our operation. I/f your going to use them to cut firewood from 20" down/ use them as a general purpose farm type saw imho it's the 261 hands down, we'll sell over 400 cord this year and the last three years combined have been right at a 950-1000, these 261's make the perfect complement saw to 70/80cc saws or are just about perfect for the guy who goes out and cuts for his own use. I have ours set up with 18" .325 setups and they pull them with authority buried in hardwood,

and at least you can just pic up a stihl pull the triger and thumb the choke without puting it down or letting go of the front bar

and at least you can just pic up a stihl pull the triger and thumb the choke without puting it down or letting go of the front bar

HUH? :msp_confused:

To the OP;
The MS261 is just too large and clumcy to handle for a 50cc saw, and has a slow trigger response (according to people I trust)! The inboard clutch pushing the bar to far from the centre of gravity is one of the reasons that it is that way, but hardly the only reason. Just handling one in a saw shop was enough for me to write it off as an interesting option - no way I would want a 50cc saw like that!

There's only one solution. Go handle then both and buy the one that feels best. They're both very good saws. Just like IndianSprings sold his 346, I sold my 261. IMHO, the 346 is everything that it's hyped to be! You're opinion may be different:clap:

I have to agree with Sawtroll the 261 just did not feel good in my hands, too big, cumbersom? It is a very nice saw but I am replacing my 357 with a smaller saw and the 261 actually felt bigger to me than the 357. Also no heated handle option on the Stihl that I am aware of. So the 346XPG is on order. CJ

HUH? :msp_confused:

To the OP;
The MS261 is just too large and clumcy to handle for a 50cc saw, and has a slow trigger response (according to people I trust)! The inboard clutch pushing the bar to far from the centre of gravity is one of the reasons that it is that way, but hardly the only reason. Just handling one in a saw shop was enough for me to write it off as an interesting option - no way I would want a 50cc saw like that!

There are a few flaws in this theory.

First, it's a mistake to think of the 261 as a 50cc saw, as it easily matches or out cuts larger and heavier 55-60cc saws. I was comparing the 261 to several light 50 cc saws from other competitors, and it was obvious to me that the 261 was heavier and bulkier, but it also cut like a bigger and stronger saw. After trying the 346, I would throw it in that light category as well. The older Stihl 260 Pro was also in that category. The new 261 is clearly not -- it's measurably (in terms of power and weight) and effectively (in terms of a broad power band and cutting performance) a bigger saw. The sooner people stop comparing it to typical 50cc saws, the better. I think it makes more sense to compare in terms of power and performance, and in that case the 261 looks fantastic against comparable saws -- it typically weighs 2 pounds less than some of the saws it can equal or out cut on the job.

Second, your theory about the clutch is some weak hand waving. There is so much that goes into clutch and sprocket placement, balance, and rotational inertia that it's naive to generalize a notion that an inboard clutch hurts balance. I could come up with several hand-waving theories why that is the opposite, like how the inboard clutch puts the rotational inertia of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it puts the mass of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it could conceivably have the same exact sprocket/chain/bar plane as an outboard clutch, how it can make for a more compact clutch cover and/or allow for better chip flow, etc. But that's just more hand waving. In reality, unless we could sample a 261 with inboard clutch compared against a hypothetical "all else equal" 261 designed around an outboard clutch (or do similar with a 346), it's not possible to make a conclusion either way. We just don't know what the engineers can do with each approach on the same saw.

I sure as heck would not be making hypothetical conclusions without even running the saw! You'd be better off not admitting that part, since it hurts your credibility. I think there should be a rule around here that you have to use a saw in wood for actual work before you can comment on it. Having used both a 261 and a 346, there is a night and day difference between the saws, and I can say that with experience. I don't think you can. Which means that you couldn't even legitimately explain to someone the instances where the 346 would be the better choice. Credibility goes both ways.

If the weight of the 261 doesn't bother you, check out the Husqvarna 555. It's a 60cc saw that weighs about the same as the MS261. There are videos of a 555 out cutting a 357XP, so it will no doubt put a 261 to shame.

There are a few flaws in this theory.

First, it's a mistake to think of the 261 as a 50cc saw, as it easily matches or out cuts larger and heavier 55-60cc saws. I was comparing the 261 to several light 50 cc saws from other competitors, and it was obvious to me that the 261 was heavier and bulkier, but it also cut like a bigger and stronger saw. After trying the 346, I would throw it in that light category as well. The older Stihl 260 Pro was also in that category. The new 261 is clearly not -- it's measurably (in terms of power and weight) and effectively (in terms of a broad power band and cutting performance) a bigger saw. The sooner people stop comparing it to typical 50cc saws, the better. I think it makes more sense to compare in terms of power and performance, and in that case the 261 looks fantastic against comparable saws -- it typically weighs 2 pounds less than some of the saws it can equal or out cut on the job.

Second, your theory about the clutch is some weak hand waving. There is so much that goes into clutch and sprocket placement, balance, and rotational inertia that it's naive to generalize a notion that an inboard clutch hurts balance. I could come up with several hand-waving theories why that is the opposite, like how the inboard clutch puts the rotational inertia of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it puts the mass of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it could conceivably have the same exact sprocket/chain/bar plane as an outboard clutch, how it can make for a more compact clutch cover and/or allow for better chip flow, etc. But that's just more hand waving. In reality, unless we could sample a 261 with inboard clutch compared against a hypothetical "all else equal" 261 designed around an outboard clutch (or do similar with a 346), it's not possible to make a conclusion either way. We just don't know what the engineers can do with each approach on the same saw.

I sure as heck would not be making hypothetical conclusions without even running the saw! You'd be better off not admitting that part, since it hurts your credibility. I think there should be a rule around here that you have to use a saw in wood for actual work before you can comment on it. Having used both a 261 and a 346, there is a night and day difference between the saws, and I can say that with experience. I don't think you can. Which means that you couldn't even legitimately explain to someone the instances where the 346 would be the better choice. Credibility goes both ways.

Woah woah woah........ Ok first you say that it is a mistake to consider the MS261 a 50cc saw... ok displacement is 50.2cc so I would argue that it is a 50cc saw. You also say that it easily out-matches bigger 55-60cc saws.. so are you saying your MS261 will outcut my 357XP? I would highly doubt it. As far as clutch placement, an argument for outboard vs. inboard is thin at best. That comes down to personal preference. I prefer an outboard clutch because that is what I am used to working on. Next, you say there is a night and day difference between the two saws, I couldn't agree more. To me, the 261 felt bulky, square, and heavy compared to the 346. Also, the 346 seemed to turn higher rpm's and had quicker throttle response.. and with the way I like to cut, I prefer rpm's and quick revving over torque. Again, all personal preference. But in a nutshell, it still comes down to personal preference... because at the end of the day, BOTH of these saws are gonna get the job done, and get it done efficiently. They are both reliable, they are both powerful, and are both great saws. (I just think the 346 is better.. lol). By the way, don't take this the wrong way, it's all in good fun. What would these posts be without some constructive arguments! Just giving my opinion. ;):msp_thumbup:

I know on my Stihls to set them up for starting, you pull the trigger with your index finger and push the choke all the down with your thumb. One hand operation!

On my Husky's, I pull out the choke. It turns on the ignition and sets fast idle. No need to touch the trigger.

Lots of threads on this subject, I tried a 346xpne for a little over a year in a commercial firewood operation, they are a good saw, prolly the most overhyped saw on AS in stock form.
I bought a 261 when they first came out, the 346 just sat, last Saturday added a second 261 to the operation. They are 9oz heavier, imho pretty easy to see why, they are a rock solid saw, air filteration is the best of any saw on the market, in our opinion a much more useable power band, torquier, don't have to keep it screaming wot to get the most out of it, the 261 has the inboard clutch, a real sized chain tension screw, not a micro screw, the 261 has captive bar nuts and the even better the MS261 is made in the USA by skilled American workers, at the Virginia Beach, VA plant. Imho the Stihl bar that comes with the 261 is also a higher quality bar than the rebadged oregon that comes on the 346xpne. The 261 also comes standard with a stainless steel mufffler. The 346xpne was the best 50cc saw I had run until we got the 261's in our operation. I/f your going to use them to cut firewood from 20" down/ use them as a general purpose farm type saw imho it's the 261 hands down, we'll sell over 400 cord this year and the last three years combined have been right at a 950-1000, these 261's make the perfect complement saw to 70/80cc saws or are just about perfect for the guy who goes out and cuts for his own use. I have ours set up with 18" .325 setups and they pull them with authority buried in hardwood,

Seriously what is the next overhyped saw after the 346?

Back