Stihl 261 or Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Officer's Match

Officer's Match

Addicted to ArboristSite
One-saw-plan, I'd go 261 for the torque. If combined with a 70cc (or bigger), definitely the 346 (or its hotter looking cousin - Jonsered 2153).

IMG_0225-1.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

Last edited:
indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
There are a few flaws in this theory.

First, it's a mistake to think of the 261 as a 50cc saw, as it easily matches or out cuts larger and heavier 55-60cc saws. I was comparing the 261 to several light 50 cc saws from other competitors, and it was obvious to me that the 261 was heavier and bulkier, but it also cut like a bigger and stronger saw. After trying the 346, I would throw it in that light category as well. The older Stihl 260 Pro was also in that category. The new 261 is clearly not -- it's measurably (in terms of power and weight) and effectively (in terms of a broad power band and cutting performance) a bigger saw. The sooner people stop comparing it to typical 50cc saws, the better. I think it makes more sense to compare in terms of power and performance, and in that case the 261 looks fantastic against comparable saws -- it typically weighs 2 pounds less than some of the saws it can equal or out cut on the job.

Second, your theory about the clutch is some weak hand waving. There is so much that goes into clutch and sprocket placement, balance, and rotational inertia that it's naive to generalize a notion that an inboard clutch hurts balance. I could come up with several hand-waving theories why that is the opposite, like how the inboard clutch puts the rotational inertia of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it puts the mass of the clutch closer to the center of the saw, how it could conceivably have the same exact sprocket/chain/bar plane as an outboard clutch, how it can make for a more compact clutch cover and/or allow for better chip flow, etc. But that's just more hand waving. In reality, unless we could sample a 261 with inboard clutch compared against a hypothetical "all else equal" 261 designed around an outboard clutch (or do similar with a 346), it's not possible to make a conclusion either way. We just don't know what the engineers can do with each approach on the same saw.

I sure as heck would not be making hypothetical conclusions without even running the saw! You'd be better off not admitting that part, since it hurts your credibility. I think there should be a rule around here that you have to use a saw in wood for actual work before you can comment on it. Having used both a 261 and a 346, there is a night and day difference between the saws, and I can say that with experience. I don't think you can. Which means that you couldn't even legitimately explain to someone the instances where the 346 would be the better choice. Credibility goes both ways.

You hit the nail on the head, pretty soon we're going to have to put a disclaimer on all his post, "I don't run the saws I give opinions on, I pick them up in saw shops or go by what is printed in brochures, I have never cut one piece of American hardwood, limited to cutting very few cord of 6-12" pecker poles. Mere ounces make the difference between whether a saw is worthy to run or not. I would feel totally different if the opinions where based on any real world expeirence, but since there is none and he depends on those unnamed sources he trust, just like the comment on another post where he said he knew all these people who have traded off their MS460's because they couldn't handle the vibration, give me a break. I know it will pizz people off and ruffle feathers, but with statements/opinions that have been made lately there is no credibility or integrity in that kind of information being passed on as "gospel", it's nothing more than his ongoing bashing any Stihl product out there. It's like a broken record.
At least I'll be fair and admit the 346xpne is a great saw, when you ask people about them, ask the second question, are they in stock form, how many of them are running replacement unlimited coils to get the m where they need to be/ how many are muffler modded, and how many have been woods ported to get them to live up to the hype. If your going to go the Husky route you need to read mdavlee's post on the 555, he thinks it's everything the 346 should be without having to do the mods to get it to live up to the hype. As close as the 346xp and 261 are, I'll buy American anyday, and you can bet your azz my opinions are based on cutting wood and a hell of a lot of it, not sitting behind in a computer, living vicariously through others with my saws sitting on shelves. I burned dang right at two gallons or more of mix yesterday from just before noon to dark, not cutting cookies but wood. I dang sure see where Slamm gets so worked up. At least run the saw in question before you give an opinion like your the AS "saw god".
Otherwise it is just a reflection on the persons level of integrity in my book. I've dang sure made it clear there are some Stihl models I sure as hell wouldn't own for what I do after running them, same with a couple of Echo's, but I ran them before making the comments, and those are nothing more than my opinion, they sure aren't the gospel, they may work great for someone else, am I won't back off my beliefs, acting like an expert and giving phoney bs info is what it is, I'll take the word of a firewood hack that actually uses a saw to cut 10-15 cord a year over one who gives reviews based on picking up a saw off the shelf anyday.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
I wounder how many people are cutting 30" wood with their 346xp's and ms261's. These saws are best suited for stuff under 20" or other words "pecker poles". Seems it the OP was looking for a saw to fall old growth timber all day he would have asked for a comparison between the 395xp and the ms660. I also wonder how many folks are pro loggers and how many are just lowly firewood guys who know nothing about wood or how a saw operates and should just keep their mouths shut. I am a professional driver and I think all you guys suck behind the wheel because I'm a pro and you are not. I hope you all caught the sarcasm.

Last edited:
Farmertim

Farmertim

ArboristSite Operative
My 346xp is bone stock and it lives up to the hype--lightning throttle response, plenty of power in wood up to 14-15 inches, and very nimble--handles like a dream! I have cut about 30 cords thus far this fall--not done yet, only using the 346 and 372; the 346 sees about 75% of the use. Hype over a saw here on AS has to be taken with a grain of salt. For most regular members and contributors, the rah rah over a saw gets a little old, and maybe flat out boring, especially if it is a saw you have little interest in. But all in all, when I think of the 'hyped' saws on this site, the saw usually backs up the hype: ms361, 372xp, 044/ms440, 7900, 346xp, 200T to name a few.

As stated before, you have to like the saw you run: find out which one is best for you! Sometimes handling in a saw shop, or making a couple of cuts is all the chance you get! And I would not worry too much about the 'minuscule' chain tensioning screw on the 346xp, any scrench, namely the one that comes with the saw, works just find and you will never give it a second thought. Happy cutting

:cheers:

Tim

Last edited:
indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Would kind of be like me telling you I know a new Volvo is a hell of a lot better truck than a Kenworth because I read the brochure and sat in the truck at the dealer, right, how much integrity is would be in that opinion/scenario no different in the ones be spouted about saws. I sure don't recommend cutting 30" wood with any 50cc either, don't know where you pulled that one out of your azz, the point is 18" and down hardwoods is a lot different than cutting what has been posted before about cutting 6-10" poles. Is a little credibility/integrity/accuracy little to much to expect out of a person these days? Or is just spewing hatred of a brand every time a stihl is brought up just the new norm?

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Would kind of be like me telling you I know a new Volvo is a hell of a lot better truck than a Kenworth because I read the brochure and sat in the truck at the dealer, right, how much integrity is would be in that opinion/scenario no different in the ones be spouted about saws. I sure don't recommend cutting 30" wood with any 50cc either, don't know where you pulled that one out of your azz, the point is 18" and down hardwoods is a lot different than cutting what has been posted before about cutting 6-10" poles. Is a little credibility/integrity/accuracy little to much to expect out of a person these days? Or is just spewing hatred of a brand every time a stihl is brought up just the new norm?

I don't care what brand of saw anyone gets I was just pointing out how a inboard clutch can be convenient in a pinched bar situation, and the fact that Stihl bars are actually really good bars. Me I personally like Stihl for cutting wood so that is what I have and what I commented on. As for the wood I cut it is all soft woods and ranges from 6" to over 30" and is fairly tall with minimal branches, I have cut a few hard woods around the yard. I was just getting the vibe in this thread that if you were not a pro you have no business commenting on saw good or bad, for instance I have a homelite 150 and I think it is a piece of crap and will gladly state it, do I cut a lot of wood with it, no , have I used it to cut some branches in the yard, yes, and I think it is a turd, just my honest opinion, everyone has one.

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I wounder how many people are cutting 30" wood with their 346xp's and ms261's. These saws are best suited for stuff under 20" or other words "pecker poles". Seems it the OP was looking for a saw to fall old growth timber all day he would have asked for a comparison between the 395xp and the ms660. I also wonder how many folks are pro loggers and how many are just lowly firewood guys who know nothing about wood or how a saw operates and should just keep their mouths shut. I am a professional driver and I think all you guys suck behind the wheel because I'm a pro and you are not. I hope you all caught the sarcasm.

I'm cutting 30" wood with my 5100, it's become my main felling saw since my back injury. Ported it, put on a 20" bar and couldn't be happier with it!
I haven't run a 261 yet, "Someone" was supposed to come over this week with one? Haven't run a 346NE either, but "people I respect and trust" have told me I wouldn't be any happier than I was with the OE version. I also agree it's the most overhyped saw made! BUT, the 361 impressed me, until I ran a 440 right behind it, I'd get the 440 any day!
But that's all personal opinion, the way I run saws isn't going to be the same as the way you run one!

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
My apologies Jim, I took it wrong, I really the same way, don't give a rat's hiney what kind a saw a person uses, whether they cut 10 sticks or 10 million. I just was pointing out fair/balanced accurate feedback on saws regardless of the brand is all the membership here on AS deserve. Years ago I ran Homelites, when they were a homelite, worst saw I ever owned in my life was a Homey 410, I've often said I'd rather have a sister working in a whorehouse than having to own and run another 410.

ih574

ih574

My first post here (and its a long one). It was clear from the beginning that this is THE site for discussions about chainsaws. My Husky 51, which I've had since 1997, died from its owner's stupidity (the second time I wished I had stupidity insurance) - I straight gassed it. So I figured I needed a new one. I really liked the 51 for what I do (no pro work, typical farm work, clearing low brush and tree limbs that the bush hog can't get to and cutting down 15 - 20" trees (cherry, locust, cedar, and other trash trees), limbing them and turning the bones into firewood - probably no more than two or three cords a year).

My local dealer has carried Husky for at least 25 years and just picked up Stihl. I started out thinking I'd get a Husky 455 or a Stihl 290 as a replacement. I've always respected Stihl, just didn't know much about them. I lifted both the 455 and the 290 and found them very heavy compared to my 51. I saw the Stihl MS261 and it felt like a feather compared to both the 455 and 290. It was about here that I decided to spring for a pro saw which I could use for the rest of my sawing life. The dealer didn't have any 346's. But the 261 felt so good (light and compact) next to those other saws, I decided to consider the Stihl. I went home with some literature and studied this site, learned how much people liked both saws, and decided to give the Stihl a chance. Next weekend I brought one home. I had the dealer put on an 18" Rollomatic E bar with a .325 Stihl chain.

First time out, I cut a couple of slices off a stump (cookies?). When I went to cut the fourth or fifth cookie, the saw locked up, like the chain brake was on. It wasn't. I took the bar off (very easy with those big, captive nuts) and realized the chain was stuck in the bar. The nose wheel turned a lot harder than I thought it should. I checked for bent or misaligned grooves in the bar, but found none. I made sure the chain, the sprocket, and the bar were all compatible, which they were. I also turned up the oil to max. Ran the saw a bit to see if oil would fling from the bar and there was none. That night, I soaked the bar and chain in bar oil. Next day, I cut a few more downed logs (8"). It was nice and torquey, just like people say here - even with only about 1/4 tank of mix used since new. It was pretty sluggish off idle which I noticed right off. The chain wasn't binding, but there still wasn't much oil being flung, even when running up the revs. So I took it back next weekend. The dealer (same folks from I buy all my small engine stuff) checked it and said they don't throw much oil anymore, but would take the saw back and order me a 346.

A few weeks later, i brought the Husky 346 home. I felt better about the Husky, given I've had good service from my old 51. And according to this site, it may fit my needs better (limbing and smaller wood). Did some of the same test cuts with the Husky. It worked pretty well so I cut a little firewood from a few logs (8" - 10"). It was very nimble, reved quick, and cut great as long as I kept the revs up. So I decided to keep it. After using both saws and reading the other 1000 threads on this subject, I have to say I agree with all the objective reviews (even though I probably only have a total of 45 minutes on each). My non-pro opinions are as follows (with most important features to me listed first for each):

Husky 346xp
-Very fast throttle response.
-Seems very nimble and comfortable for me.
-Bogs down pretty easy.
-Cuts very fast when I keep the revs up.
-Throws oil off chain when adjusted to max, but still less than the 51 in its prime.
-The chain adjustment screw is pretty small.
-Started on about five pulls cold and one pull warm.
-Grey clutch cover looks goofy.
-Hard to clean with outboard clutch.

Stihl MS261
-Relaxed throttle response.
-Reasonably light but not as nimble (maybe a perception resulting from the slower throttle response).
-Torquey, pulling through wood without bogging.
-Throws off virtually no oil even at max adjustment (maybe it was this saw).
-Captive Bar Nuts are fantastic.
-Chain adjustment screw is easy to find with the scrench without thinking about it.
-Obviously well built.
-Started on about five pulls cold and one pull warm.
-Very easy to clean with inboard clutch.
-I understand it has the best air filtration in the business.

I'm glad I was able to try both saws. When I bought the 261, I was looking forward to becoming a full fledged Stihl owner. I think the more relaxed performance and the low bar oil output on the Stihl were enough to make me question whether the Stihl was for me. I know Stihl and my dealer would put it right if there was a problem with the binding chain. But, the Husky was a fantastic limber with its great throttle response. So the overall feel of the 346 plus my 15 years of good luck with the other Husky will keep me loyal to the Husky brand. But like so many others have said, I couldn't go wrong with either saw.

BTW, I bought a new cylinder, piston, etc. and rebuilt the 51. Its now back in business.

Tom C.
www.outcropacres.com

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
There's only one solution. Go handle then both and buy the one that feels best. They're both very good saws. Just like IndianSprings sold his 346, I sold my 261. IMHO, the 346 is everything that it's hyped to be! You're opinion may be different:clap:

Hi Brad, I'm not trying to be smart, but I am curious to how many cords of wood you cut with both saws or what other,amount of time, type of conditions have you cut with them ?
I never used a 261 yet but I believe I 've cut 100's of hours with 346's and 026's and much prefer owning and using an 026 for what I do with 50cc saws. If most of my work with it was up in the air without a lot of bending and cutting wood close to the ground my choice might be different.
I might like to find 1 of those 261's being dumped to keep a 346. Shouldn't cost to much that way.:msp_smile:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
ih574,

Just wait until that 346 is broken-in, 10-12 tanks. They are pretty boggy in the cut at first, but really wake up with use. I can lean on my new one now, couldn't do that at first.

Latest posts