Stihl 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinDodge

Powered by Cummins
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on when to expect the 261 if at all? As much hype and talk about the 361/441 there has to be something in the works. Anyone heard from their uncle that their brother's cousin who works with a guy heard.......................

SmokinDodge said:
Does anyone have any info on when to expect the 261 if at all? As much hype and talk about the 361/441 there has to be something in the works. Anyone heard from their uncle that their brother's cousin who works with a guy heard.......................

There's been rumors. Little more than just guys here on this forum though. Nothing from Stihl as far as I know. Maybe Andy's heard something.

fishhuntcutwood said:
There's been rumors. Little more than just guys here on this forum though. Nothing from Stihl as far as I know. Maybe Andy's heard something.

Nope, nothing yet:monkey:
Andy

Lakeside is the Andy he referred to, I believe......:biggrinbounce2:

No more info on the German web-sites, than here (nil, that is).

Personally, I believe that they are not in a hurry - they are just selling too many of the ol' 260s....

Ok

Soooo, I translated a bunch of german pages and found that most were saying later in 2007, more like '08. I also read, and I'm not sure about this, it's not going to be 2-cycle. I dunno how true this is, but according to them, they are still trying to get it's rpm up to their standard. But, it's on it's way I guess, they're working out the bugs now... A four cycle saw??? They're saying Dolmar has one of those in their new catalogs.... I dunno. It's kinda mumbo jumbo reading it all... Hope this gives you clue anyways.

I dunno

SawTroll said:
I don't believe that the 4 cycle saw will be the replacement for the 260.....
Read below guy. Like I said, it was a kind of jumbled mess for me, see what you can pick up from these articles eh? Link below, google translates text from german to english and it'll take some time for ya to find it, but its around there... :popcorn:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Stihl+MS-261

How do you get it to translate? Also a question for troll and some others who visit other sites in other countries. How does good ol' Arborist site compare to those.

Translate

AJLOGGER said:
How do you get it to translate? Also a question for troll and some others who visit other sites in other countries. How does good ol' Arborist site compare to those.

On the right of the topic there's a translate button guy. Below is where I read about the 4 cycle...

Rattling clay/tone wrote the following:
Thus meien last information of the Stihlniederlassung Braunschweig are direct, which is presented officially in January the new saw and in the current catalog this saw not yet in it is. I do not know type name, but that the saw already a some time in the practice practice runs and all requirements to the new exhaust regulations 2007 fulfilled. In addition no 4mix is engine for ms in planning.
Greetings: Marc

Hello Marc,

over the 4-MIX-Motor I heard other one of a Stihl coworker from the development center. The 4-MIX-Sägen is continuously examined and improved. Allegedly however the maximum permissible engine speed is to be still too slowly achieved.

The 4-mix engine, I believe, is already being used by Stihl's string trimmer/blower products. I think it's more of a 4 and 2-stroke hybrid using fuel mix like a 2-stroke, but with intake/exhaust valves. The crank is lubricated by diverting fuel mix into the crankcase.

I can't find any real info there - I am posting in the two German web-forums referred most to in the link, and all I have found is pretty loose speculations, regarding the 261.....;)

I don't belive 4-mix is true 4-cycle either, but I don't really know - haven't cared to look further into it so far.

Last edited:
I am sure they have to be tight lipped but I contacted stihl asking if the 260 would be updated. There reply to me was to look at the 270-280 in which I replied I am not interested in a saw weighing 1.1 pounds more in weight.

The 4 mix is a true 4 cycle engine. However, it gets lubricated though the mix. The two issues are separate.

All manufacturers need to change almost all their saws (only a few already meet the 2007 spec) over the next two years to meet emission standards in the USA. It looks like both Stihl and Husky are both going stratified charge.

I have heard many "rumors" as to when the various Stihl models will be available. Many are likely finished (Engineering) now, but when they go into production.. that's another question. Much of the release date timing is driven by EPA credits and retooling of factory production lines. I'm guessing that the MS210->MS250 and MS290->MS310 lines will be first... Maybe later next year? We'll know more in February.

The MS260 had an interim mod done to the piston and cylinder in 2003 to meet emissions (lost 0.3 HP in the process, but...) so it may stay a bit longer. We'll see.

Emissions

Lakeside53 said:
The 4 mix is a true 4 cycle engine. However, it gets lubricated though the mix. The two issues are separate.

All manufacturers need to change almost all their saws (only a few already meet the 2007 spec) over the next two years to meet emission standards in the USA. It looks like both Stihl and Husky are both going stratified charge.

I have heard many "rumors" as to when the various Stihl models will be available. Many are likely finished (Engineering) now, but when they go into production.. that's another question. Much of the release date timing is driven by EPA credits and retooling of factory production lines. I'm guessing that the MS210->MS250 and MS290->MS310 lines will be first... Maybe later next year? We'll know more in February.

The MS260 had an interim mod done to the piston and cylinder in 2003 to meet emissions (lost 0.3 HP in the process, but...) so it may stay a bit longer. We'll see.
So I have a silly question I guess. Since I've never owned a new saw till I just bought the wifey one, do the newer saws have Cadillac converters on them? (Yes, I know I put cadillac, catalytic for you english fanatics) I'm just wondering about emission standards. Does this mean that a converter is necessary or how do they get a 2-cycle saw to standards??? Thanks guys

Stihl doesn't believe CAT converters will suit saws for the new standards as they run too hot. A handful of smaller model have had them but the new models will all be Stratified charge - basically a shot of fresh air is used to scavenge instead of mix.

To see what the manufacturers are up against... The HC grams/kilowatt hour for a MS 440 is 120, and for the MS 441 it is 67. The EPA limit for 2006 is 94, and it will drop to 72 in Jan.

I for one would like to see what Stihl could do on a new 50cc saw!

Hopefully they are taking note on the 5100 and will follow suit!!!

On the downside if and when Stihl does add a new 50cc saw to their lineup.........if it is good........that will be another saw that I will want!!!

Does it ever end?!?!?!?!

rahtreelimbs said:
I for one would like to see what Stihl could do on a new 50cc saw!

Hopefully they are taking note on the 5100 and will follow suit!!!

On the downside if and when Stihl does add a new 50cc saw to their lineup.........if it is good........that will be another saw that I will want!!!

Does it ever end?!?!?!?!

That has to be most Stupid question ever asked on AS!!!:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back