Stihl 261c chain oil pouring out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amwphotos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've read many posts on this site but now it's my turn to ask your advice.

I just bought a used Stihl ms261c Nov 2014, everything appears to be good, no play in bearings, runs well, chain brake works fine (tiny bit of creep on full power). It was not clean, but I've cleaned it, and under the grime it's in good condition.

However, it seems to pump out chain oil like it's going out of fashion. I've not had a chance to use a full tank of fuel and check the quantity of bar oil also used. But is this normal? Thanks in advance

IMG_20180816_184011.jpg

IMG_20180816_183809.jpg

Is it a pro? Look on the bottom and see if you have the adjuster you can turn it down some. Does a tank or oil last a tank of fuel or more. It should pump oil out. I leave all of mine turned up as high s they go. I don’t like my bar getting dry or hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. It is a pro so I've turned down the oiler. I already gave it a really good clean so bar groove etc is all clear. I'll be able to give it a proper go soon and see how long it takes to use a tank of fuel and chain oil. The wood shavings will soak up the oil too.

I don't want to run the bar without a good amount of oil, but having it pi55ing out everywhere is a bit over the top!

Hi everyone, I've read many posts on this site but now it's my turn to ask your advice.

I just bought a used Stihl ms261c Nov 2014, everything appears to be good, no play in bearings, runs well, chain brake works fine (tiny bit of creep on full power). It was not clean, but I've cleaned it, and under the grime it's in good condition.

However, it seems to pump out chain oil like it's going out of fashion. I've not had a chance to use a full tank of fuel and check the quantity of bar oil also used. But is this normal? Thanks in advance

View attachment 669203

View attachment 669202

It shouldn't do that! Looks like oil is coming out from behind the clutch right at the pump. Pull the clutch drum and probably the clutch to see what is really going on under there. I can't believe this is just an adjustment or clogged bar issue.

It shouldn't do that! Looks like oil is coming out from behind the clutch right at the pump. Pull the clutch drum and probably the clutch to see what is really going on under there. I can't believe this is just an adjustment or clogged bar issue.
Just oil running over the surface, wasn't coming out from behind the clutch drum thankfully.

I don't get yet see a problem. It looks to me as though you've been running it without cutting wood. The oil has to go somewhere and will run down the saw like that.
Thanks, yes I'm thinking it is ok and that it is just oil from the chain and not an excessive quantity.

Thanks everyone for the input.

There is something that just doesn't look right about that oil slot on the guide plate. May just be the pic. Have you checked behind it to see if there is some debris holding the center up?

Latest posts

Back