Stihl 310, No start...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gebudjr

Reaction score
Used my chainsaw two weekends ago. I went to used the other day and no start. New spark plug, when i pulled the plug it was wet, I also ck'ed for spark but there was none. I called my dealer and was told to ck wire connections, pulled cover all wires appear to be in fair condition. Any suggestions or remedies???

Probably badly flooded. Take out he plug, make sure the switch is OFF, turn the saw upside down, put the throttle on full and pull away... This will flush out any old gas in the crankcase. Dry off the plug and try again.

I assume you are starting the saw correctly - choke until the first pop (or 5-6 pulls) , then "high start", then one more pull.

Checking for spark is hard to do on the 310 as everything is plastic. You need to ground the metal part of the plug to the cylinder, and even then, the spark can be hard to see. Your coil does have a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner, but failure is rare.

Flooded

Agreed!The290 and 310 are notorious for flooding. I haven't tried it yet but a friend gave the plug an extra .005 gap and say's he hasn't had a problem since.

Opening the plug will retard the ignition... The gap should stay at 0.5mm.. roughly 20 thou.

I think the users are "notorious" for flooding the saws,,, not the saws on their own.

I had a problem with mine a couple times in sequence. Pull, pull, pull some more until I would get a 'pop' then no problem. Discovered that it was operator error. I wasn't getting it into full choke position. No more problems.
Usually 5 pulls, pop, half choke, 1 pull and running.

Harry K

Check the coil

I have a 290 and have only flooded it once, but the coil was bad, so it didn't matter. If you pulled the plug and checked for spark and there was none, assuming the ignition was on and all the wires were still attached at the coil, then the coil may have gone on you. Mine would let me cut for about 15-25 minutes and die out. I replaced it and it runs great again.

Back