Stihl 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SandMan said:
What's the big difference between the 310 and 361? Probably the biggest difference is the cost- I'm guessing $150 to $200 more. For the extra dough, you get 10% more horsepower and save less than half a pound in weight. ..........
I wonder where you got that weight differece from. :confused:

According to Stihl the difference is .3 kg, which is about 2/3 of a pound.

According to independent testing (DLG/KWF) the 361 weights 5.6 kg (as adverticed), and both the 290 and 390 weights 6.1 kg, .2 kg more than adverticed. This is a difference of more than a pound.

Diesel JD said:
Wonder if Stihl advertises weight of the powerhead without the gas and oil...that could make up the difference maybe?
All weights is without bar and chain, and with empty tanks.

SawTroll said:
I wonder where you got that weight differece from. :confused:

According to Stihl the difference is .3 kg, which is about 2/3 of a pound.

According to independent testing (DLG/KWF) the 361 weights 5.6 kg (as adverticed), and both the 290 and 390 weights 6.1 kg, .2 kg more than adverticed. This is a difference of more than a pound.

My comment comes from the current Stihl online chainsaw comparison chart-

MS310 13.0 lbs vs. MS361 12.6 pounds.
Difference is 0.4 lbs = less than half a pound.

The previous response regarding anti-vibe, better powerband, decomp, etc. would definitely increase the value of the MS361, especially if it was what you use to make a living day in and day out. However, IMO I still think that the mid-tier saws regardless of price are great for their intended purpose. That said, scanning this site does give one the itch to rebuild and/or mod an older pro series saw...

I had to make the same decision on getting a good medium size saw and got the RedMax G621AVS. Mine came with a 24" bar for around $430. What a screamer that thing is. It could easily take a 28" although RedMax does'nt recommend it.

I did look at the Husky's and the Stihl's. I would most likely have gone with the Husky. Is it just me or do the Stihl's seem to have gotten a little cheaper? The Stihl's also had a funky gas cap that looked vulnerable to failure.

Tim

Pioneer P-40
RedMax G621AVS
Echo CS-305

SandMan said:
My comment comes from the current Stihl online chainsaw comparison chart-
MS310 13.0 lbs vs. MS361 12.6 pounds.
Difference is 0.4 lbs = less than half a pound ....

I can see now that I shouldn't have commented on this weight issue, as it isn't really worth a lengthy discussion.
You are using the weight of the MS361C with the PITA QS chain break instead of the regular MS361.
The correct numbers to compare is 12.3 lbs vs. 13.0 ;)

Last edited:
Hey Sawtroll, I'll bet that you have forgotten more than I actually know about saws- so I'll agree that you are correct and leave it at that. Just letting you know where I got my info. :cool:

Latest posts

Back