Stihl 361 vs. 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 361 scared too many Hippies, had too few parts to break, and not enough chineese Manufacturing potential so it was dropped, and they adopted the more complex, hippy friendly, 362 before announcing the manufacture to be shifted to Chin Hoa China next fall.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The 361 scared too many Hippies, had too few parts to break, and not enough chineese Manufacturing potential so it was dropped, and they adopted the more complex, hippy friendly, 362 before announcing the manufacture to be shifted to Chin Hoa China next fall.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

every word of this is as true as the day is long

i checked out the new 362 and 441 the other day at a local stihl shop, i have seen them but hadnt had them in my hands until then.

the first thing i noticed was how BIG and bulky they looked right off the bat, they had the 441 sitting next to a 460, it is just plain BIGGER. and feels just as heavy. the 362 is very large for a 60cc saw, bulky and is noticeably heavier than a 361, plus $80-100+ more expensive

it really isnt the best marketing strategy to have the newer more "advanced" saws sitting next to old relics that are smaller (for their cc size) ,lighter and cheaper.

Stihl can't make up there mind is the only reason they changed them so quick.

The 361 came about with the new antivibe which is awesome, then they changed it to a strato for the same reason as the 441. Because that was the best two saws Stihl made.

Too bad they changed them for the worse.

WTF :jawdrop: Care to elaborate on that ? Are we going to have Stihls made in China ?

Some stihl stuff already is, but not Saws.
I'm just funnin' on that aspect, because it is likely to happen shortly and no matter how much we all hate the idea.

The Dadgum 361 was the "near perfect" Stihl that just needed a few tweaks, and most of us are haters of anything new that isn't better.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i checked out the new 362 and 441 the other day at a local stihl shop, i have seen them but hadnt had them in my hands until then.

the first thing i noticed was how BIG and bulky they looked right off the bat, they had the 441 sitting next to a 460, it is just plain BIGGER. and feels just as heavy. the 362 is very large for a 60cc saw, bulky and is noticeably heavier than a 361, plus $80-100+ more expensive

it really isnt the best marketing strategy to have the newer more "advanced" saws sitting next to old relics that are smaller (for their cc size) ,lighter and cheaper.

Bigger, really?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=108887&highlight=ms362&page=2

The 262 is an excellent saw, with filtration that actually works. Comparing them side by side the extra weight is not noticeable. The 362 is NOT bigger in size than the 361. The only thing more complex on the 362 is the intake setup, besides that it's just like any other saw. :cheers:

If you want to trash a saw you best own one or have worked on one, otherwise it's nothing but hearsay.

Last edited:
I can't feel the weight difference either. And no wonder why I can't, it's only like 1/2 lb.:)

I mean really, how can anyone feel a 1/2lb difference in anything? The balance of certain saws with certain bar lengths is the biggest factor to me. A well balanced saw feels lighter to me than a lighter, poorly balanced saw.

I have only ran a 362 once, and I liked it alot. Powerband feels a little different to me but the weight difference just is'nt there to me.

The 361 feels better in my hands though and thats why I bought it over a 362.

Two mistakes I've made with my chainsaw collection.

(1) Missed out on MS-361 when I could get them brand new.

(2) Bought a MS-441 instead of the 460. Don't get me wrong though, 441 is an excellent running saw & I enjoy the comfort aspect of it a great deal, but for the same exact weight I should have bought a MS460 instead, not to mention gaining more hp is easier w/ the 460 as ported mufflers are easy to find.

Lessons learned. Next saw will be a 460 when I get around to it.

Anthony that right there is a good honest review.:cheers:

The 361 is a hard saw to replace. The 441 is a really nice saw as well, but it's noticeably larger and heavier than the 440.:cheers:

Anthony that right there is a good honest review.:cheers:

The 361 is a hard saw to replace. The 441 is a really nice saw as well, but it's noticeably larger and heavier than the 440.:cheers:

Yea, I have only held a 441, but it is noticeably heavier than a 440. 440 is freakishly light to have the power it has. I miss that ole bird.

Bigger, really?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=108887&highlight=ms362&page=2

The 262 is an excellent saw, with filtration that actually works. Comparing them side by side the extra weight is not noticeable. The 362 is NOT bigger in size than the 361. The only thing more complex on the 362 is the intake setup, besides that it's just like any other saw. :cheers:

If you want to trash a saw you best own one or have worked on one, otherwise it's nothing but hearsay.
Hmmmm imagine that someone with some real insight...if everyone thought like you there would be a lot more truthful saw info past around AS.
Instead of
I heard it was POS
  • I heard it was underpowered
  • I heard it was hard to work
  • I heard it was heavy
  • I heard it had a lot of vibes

If a higher percentage of people on AS spent a considerable more time interacting, working on, or using the saws they are critiquing instead of playing on AS, it would be a better source of truthful info.

Truth of the matter is all the big name manufacturers (dolmar, husky, jonsered, and stihl) make good saws. Instead of using AS to form your opinion, go out and buy or use your potential candidate saws and form your own opinion. Thats what matters most in the end anyhow right?

Hmmmm imagine that someone with some real insight...if everyone thought like you there would be a lot more truthful saw info past around AS.
Instead of
I heard it was POS
  • I heard it was underpowered
  • I heard it was hard to work
  • I heard it was heavy
  • I heard it had a lot of vibes

If a higher percentage of people on AS spent a considerable more time interacting, working on, or using the saws they are critiquing instead of playing on AS, it would be a better source of truthful info.

Truth of the matter is all the big name manufacturers (dolmar, husky, jonsered, and stihl) make good saws. Instead of using AS to form your opinion, go out and buy or use your potential candidate saws and form your own opinion. Thats what matters most in the end anyhow right?

Well said Brad. Thats why I rarely post here anymore. Too much armchair quarterbacking.

I prefer to use more of my time doing things instead of wasting all of it on the computer.

Without running either saw my reasons for buying a left over MS361 instead of the MS362 were based on the following:

Needed a saw for my climber in between the MS200T and MS460.

There are many posts and replies on this forum about the good performance of the MS361.

The MS361 has a threaded/removable jet (0.52), the MS362 is not threaded (not sure of the size). Threaded makes it easier to change if needed.

The MS361 has the "older style" knob for the air filter cover, seems easier and more durable.

$100.00 less for the MS361.

MS362 is advertised as being more fuel efficient and lower emissions. I'm all for being environmentally friendly however I focus on performance and productivity especially for the climber in the tree and durability and ease of maintenance.

Latest posts

Back