Stihl 4-Mix - FS110 Carboned Up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rev limited coils do fail, have you replaced the coil yet?
I haven't run it yet. If it was a coil miss I would have expected more carbon in the combustion chamber. Combustion chamber is clean as in the photos. All I did was wipe it out with a rag. Here it is from the exhaust valve seat out. It is probably 1/16" thick in the runner behind the exhaust valve.

water works on hard dry crusty carbon build up, what your describing sounds like lampblack/soot from unburn oil and fuel. my bet is it was over revving to the point the valves were floating every time they operated it.

Did you try a compression test before tear down? If that exhaust valve was not seating you would have a problem.

That valve is pretty crusted up most likely the valve was not seating as the carbon on the seat and stem may have prevented full range of motion. Thus lack of compression and no run at higher load.

I have a BR700, same design, that I got free. I had to take the valves out and clean the carbon deposits off the stems so they would close properly.

Also have an FS91 that I got for free. Somebody had left the valve cover gasket out and the lack of oil getting to the cam actually wore it almost round. Amazing it would run to that point.

May have nothing to do with your problem , but something to look for.

water works on hard dry crusty carbon build up, what your describing sounds like lampblack/soot from unburned oil and fuel.
Good to know. Soaking the valves in carb cleaner hasn't done anything.

my bet is it was over revving to the point the valves were floating every time they operated it.
Can't and didn't happen... Coil is rev limited and with that monster line I doubt that it would have enough power to run at the specified RPM let alone over rev... which may have let it get too hot.

Did you try a compression test before tear down? If that exhaust valve was not seating you would have a problem.

That valve is pretty crusted up most likely the valve was not seating as the carbon on the seat and stem may have prevented full range of motion. Thus lack of compression and no run at higher load.
Engine failed leakdown test which is why it was torn down. I knew that it had an exhaust valve leak which was confirmed to be carbon buildup.

I have a BR700, same design, that I got free. I had to take the valves out and clean the carbon deposits off the stems so they would close properly.
Sounds like the same problem.

Also have an FS91 that I got for free. Somebody had left the valve cover gasket out and the lack of oil getting to the cam actually wore it almost round. Amazing it would run to that point.
It may not have been a lack of oil that did the cam in. I have read about instances of these plastic cams actually melting from overheating... caused by overloading and lack of airflow.

It may not have been a lack of oil that did the cam in. I have read about instances of these plastic cams actually melting from overheating... caused by overloading and lack of airflow.
is the cam support shaft ok, i have a high miler that wore the hole oval, and had to drill and bush it (on the right)

WP_20141130_05_04_40_Pro.jpg

Me being the genius that I am after replacing the cam I put it right back together without the gasket. No way that it would idle. I'm like WTF .
Turns out on that particular model the cover is almost square, not that that matters, but it is a straight air shot right down on top of the followers with a big gap between the cover and cylinder.

Me being the genius that I am after replacing the cam I put it right back together without the gasket. No way that it would idle. I'm like WTF .
Turns out on that particular model the cover is almost square, not that that matters, but it is a straight air shot right down on top of the followers with a big gap between the cover and cylinder.
A leak into the crankcase / valve train won't specifically keep it from running but will interrupt the pulse that drives the fuel pump in the carb.

A leak into the crankcase / valve train won't specifically keep it from running but will interrupt the pulse that drives the fuel pump in the carb.
If you look at a FS91 this is more than a leak. It's a gap. And, it goes right straight in to the mixture.

Apparently the gasket leaking is common on this model, according to the tech anyway. But, completely missing will ruin one fast provided you manage to keep it running.

If you look at a FS91 this is more than a leak. It's a gap. And, it goes right straight in to the mixture.

Apparently the gasket leaking is common on this model, according to the tech anyway. But, completely missing will ruin one fast provided you manage to keep it running.
I don't have any direct experience with the updated 91 series. I did look at my 110 and it has a passage from the intake runner in front of the intake valve for the piston to suck and blow mix through the valve train and crankcase for lubrication.

So if the crankcase is left open by a missing gasket it will suck in air along with any contaminants and ruin the bottom end in short order. I would also expect the fuel pump to stop working but that may depend on the size of the leak.

Excuse me for butting into your thread but could any of you fellows tell me what the H&L starting point is on a FS90. Much appreciated if you could.

I just bought it used at estate auction. Can't recall the exact turns, but I counted H&L turns in when I did carb clean and started out there. I have the L set at 1.5 out, the H at 2 out. Idles good and accelerates but it seems a bit slow on full throttle. Messed with it some and can't seem to improve it. There is a bit of slack in the throttle cable and couldn't get it adjusted per manual. It is an FS90R with China carb. Has C10 molded on one side below H&L. Other numbers stamped are S174A, 4180/118, 947L, all oposite the H&L side. It certainly has more umph than my FS45 that bit the dust.

I just bought it used at estate auction. Can't recall the exact turns, but I counted H&L turns in when I did carb clean and started out there. I have the L set at 1.5 out, the H at 2 out. Idles good and accelerates but it seems a bit slow on full throttle. Messed with it some and can't seem to improve it. There is a bit of slack in the throttle cable and couldn't get it adjusted per manual. It is an FS90R with China carb. Has C10 molded on one side below H&L. Other numbers stamped are S174A, 4180/118, 947L, all oposite the H&L side. It certainly has more umph than my FS45 that bit the dust.
That carb has tamper proof screws. I think it is the same as an S131 but with tamper proof instead of limiter caps. Try L=1.25 and H=3.5. Put a string head on it with the correct .090 line at the cutter blade length. Tune the H at WOT for max RPM. The string head load should keep it from hitting the ignition limiter at 10K. You need to fix the cable issue first though. Let me know what adjustments you finally end up with.

BTW, where did you get the carb kit?

If that unit has another of those barrel carbs, you are in for the long haul. I spent 6 weeks researching, right here.....and 2 kits. Those bsarrel models are beyond finicky....which = junk.

Well, @SteveSr, I tried adjusting the start/throttle assembly and the screw adjustment at the plastic loop above carb and it wouldn’t idle down till I put things back a bit the way they were. After reviewing the manual Harley put up I took the carb off again and tried to remove the accelerator pump and it wasn’t there, go figure. I tried the H at 3.5 turns and it stumbled bad. Put it back to 2 turns and it runs at 9600 rpm at not quite full throttle but if I squeeze the trigger further to stop it stumbles. It also has a Bosch R10 splug in it which isn’t right. I may take it to the Stihl guy here. I don’t want to mess with valves and it may need other work. I didn’t put a carb kit in it. Thanks for your thoughts

Back