Stihl 440 -- How much damage here ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A friend showed me some pics of this saw. What should be done ? It had to be running pretty hot so could there also be some seal or bearing damage ? No pic to show, but there was some cylinder damage above the exhaust port. Nothing deep, but several noticeable spots. I do not know the saw history; maybe the rpm's too high ? not enough oil in the gas ? or ? (my first post with pics, & not sure what we are going to get)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 65841

View attachment 65842

View attachment 65843

View attachment 65844

View attachment 65845

HUH? looks perfectly fine to me... if anything the saw is running rich. the "two colors" on the plug insulator is because of the combustion swirl.

Andy: seems like all the pulgs I look at are the same on all sides. I thought the brown side was a sign of ring problem on the exhaust side.

Andy: seems like all the pulgs I look at are the same on all sides. I thought the brown side was a sign of ring problem on the exhaust side.

Nope. Depends on the saw combustion chamber and transfer ports. Check a 361: they will ALL be markedly two colored due to the combustion swirl.

The spark screen is really clean, And the carbon build up is not heavy on the plug, so I would think it is not to rich. IMO a lot of todays gas will not hardly leave a good tan or brown plug, it is white or black not hardly any in between.

Andy:
I will take a look at the plug on my 361. Thanks for letting me know the two-color is ok; thought I had a problem starting.

Hazmat disposal fee

Tell him it's no good, and you'll only charge him 20 bucks to get rid of it.

I'd do it for $10. But seriously, I really appreciate all the info I get from the folks here. Learning and having fun at the same time. Bein' a schoolparp by trade (I'm not purty enough to be a schoolmarm), I relate to that in a big way.
Feel free to ask me highly tecnical compooter questions, and you will be very perplexed. I sure am.:dizzy: :greenchainsaw: :clap:

looks about as rich as any newer saws i have seen.

if it was me the rings look a bit worn but im compulsive about my 2 strokes.

if you did a teardown (2 bucks for base gasket and prolly $15 for rings) you could check the piston better but it looks like it should last another set of rings from what i see.

$15 will buy you $3.00 aftermarket rings.. not OEM... and there is a difference... I'd rather have the slightly worn OEM than new aftermarket any day.

If the compression is around 150, leave it alone... and make sure your compression tester is for small engines..

Last edited:
well i never bought stihl rings. just thru a # out there. im with Andy and prefer OEM for such a job.

Thanks for the feed back. As Huskyman said, brown is good, but I thought the plug would be all brown. Lesson learned.

Did everyone see how fast Andy rolled out of bed to clear up things with his....."HUH? looks perfectly fine to me...". Never too early, or too late, for Andy to help. thanks

Latest posts

Back