Stihl 441cm verse 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehotrodpig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I am narrowing down my saw choices. I want something to replace my 046. I want to run at least a 25" bar and preferably 28". I am thinking it would be between the 441 and the 460. The 460 claims to be the same weight with more power. I know there are other variables to them. What are some of the reasons one is more or less desirable than the other based on real world experiences? The purchase cost is comparable enough that it is not and issue to me.

Thank you in advance.

MS 460 STIHL Magnum® Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 6.6 kg (14.6 lbs.)
GUIDE BAR LENGTHS* (Recommended ranges) 40 to 80 cm (16" to 32")
FUEL CAPACITY 800 cc (27.1 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 325 cc (11.0 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 3/8" RS3

MS 441 C-M STIHL Magnum® Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.2 kW (5.6 bhp)
FUEL CAPACITY 725 cc (24.5 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 360 cc (12.2 oz.)

So I am narrowing down my saw choices. I want something to replace my 046. I want to run at least a 25" bar and preferably 28". I am thinking it would be between the 441 and the 460. The 460 claims to be the same weight with more power. I know there are other variables to them. What are some of the reasons one is more or less desirable than the other based on real world experiences? The purchase cost is comparable enough that it is not and issue to me.

Thank you in advance.

MS 460 STIHL Magnum® Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 76.5 cc (4.7 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.5 kW (6.0 bhp)
FUEL CAPACITY 800 cc (27.1 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 325 cc (11.0 oz.)

MS 441 C-M STIHL Magnum® Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 70.7 cc (4.3 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 4.2 kW (5.6 bhp)
FUEL CAPACITY 725 cc (24.5 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 360 cc (12.2 oz.)

I think the specs speak for thereselves.

Well I have heard so many people tout the 441... After comparing both saws I am still a little confused why someone would choose the 441 over the 460. Hoping to be enlightened.
The 441 AV is miles ahead of the 460. Also it sips fuel compaired to the 460. With the M Tronic you never have to worry about any adjustments to the carb.The 441 has a very wide powerband also.

The 441 AV is miles ahead of the 460. Also it sips fuel compaired to the 460. With the M Tronic you never have to worry about any adjustments to the carb.The 441 has a very wide powerband also.
And lets not forget the filtration on the 441 is miles ahead of the 460 also.

And better anti vibration.

It's a choice between an old and reliable design (046 and 460 are almost exactly the same saw) that some view as out dated, compared to a saw with a lot of new modern features, that many say makes it a better saw, but with a little less displacement. I think you'll be happy either way!

/Pontus

And lets not forget the filtration on the 441 is miles ahead of the 460 also.

You will have to excuse my ignorance. You said the specs speak for themselves.....i was assuming you were favoring the 460. The 460 claims more hp for the same weight but then you say the 441 is miles ahead. I assume you were looking at different specs than I. Is this an average hp verse peak hp type argument? I have built several hot rod and drag race motors so I get that peak hp numbers don't always mean best or most usable hp. Thank ou for the help.

And better anti vibration.

It's a choice between an old and reliable design (046 and 460 are almost exactly the same saw) that some view as out dated, compared to a saw with a lot of new modern features, that many say makes it a better saw, but with a little less displacement. I think you'll be happy either way!

/Pontus
I believe I mentioned better AV.

You will have to excuse my ignorance. You said the specs speak for themselves.....i was assuming you were favoring the 460. The 460 claims more hp for the same weight but then you say the 441 is miles ahead. I assume you were looking at different specs than I. Is this an average hp verse peak hp type argument? I have built several hot rod and drag race motors so I get that peak hp numbers don't always mean best or most usable hp. Thank ou for the help.
Well the 441 will save your body at the end of the day. Stock I think they run close to the same. 460 has a long, good track record and the 441cm is the new kid on the block.

The 460 is a proven design with no creature comforts of the new spring av strato saws. It will use quite a bit more fuel than a 441. The filter will need cleaned more often. You'll spend more time filling it up also. The 460 will have a touch more power.

Well the 441 will save your body at the end of the day. Stock I think they run close to the same. 460 has a long, good track record and the 441cm is the new kid on the block.

Huh, how long has the 441cm been out? Is it any less modifiable if I wanted more power in the future? I kinda have clsa disease but would try my hardest to not mess with it for awhile.

Huh, how long has the 441cm been out? Is it any less modifiable if I wanted more power in the future? I kinda have clsa disease but would try my hardest to not mess with it for awhile.
Its a great saw to port, you never have to worry about adjusting the carb. They seem to respond very well to porting.The CM has been out in the states for 2 years now I think?

Its a great saw to port, you never have to worry about adjusting the carb. They seem to respond very well to porting.

Re-reading these last posts I think part of my confusion and subsequent dumb questions have to do with not being fully familiar with all the lingo and abbreviations. Sorry if I am getting annoying, just trying to educate myself. What are we referring to with spring av strato saws? I assume av is anti vibration. How about the rest?

From a design point alone I'd run a 460 before a 441. The 441 is a great, well built saw, but it's the first of it's generation and it shows in it's needless complexity IMHO. I've been around long enough to see through all the hype and right now the 441's the talk of the town. Again the 441 is a fine saw, yes the AV and filtration is better. However the 460 feels smaller, has more power, parts are available everywhere, and it's easy as could be to work on.

Hope this helps make your decision easier, I'm sure you'd be happy with either saw.

Re-reading these last posts I think part of my confusion and subsequent dumb questions have to do with not being fully familiar with all the lingo and abbreviations. Sorry if I am getting annoying, just trying to educate myself. What are we referring to with spring av strato saws? I assume av is anti vibration. How about the rest?
You are correct and strato is a stratified scavaging engine. Gives a blast of non fuel mixed air in the cylinder right before the fuel air mix, cause less raw fuel to be pushed out the exhaust port. The result? About 25% better fuel economy, and seems to have a broader powerband.

From a design point alone I'd run a 460 before a 441. The 441 is a great, well built saw, but it's the first of it's generation and it shows in it's needless complexity IMHO. I've been around long enough to see through all the hype and right now the 441's the talk of the town. Again the 441 is a fine saw, yes the AV and filtration is better. However the 460 feels smaller, has more power, parts are available everywhere, and it's easy as could be to work on.

Hope this helps make your decision easier, I'm sure you'd be happy with either saw.
Very good point, the 441 can be a bit of a headache to work on compaired to a 460.

Latest posts

Back