Stihl 460 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi everybody.I recently bought a good running Stihl 460 at a flea market.Saw starts easy and cuts great,but im having trouble with it idling.It will sit flat on the ground and idle fine,but as soon as you pick it up,it starts to idle very fast.Then if laid over on its right side(bar side)it idles down very slow and will die.The high side limiter cap was gone when I bought the saw.Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance.

Hi everybody.I recently bought a good running Stihl 460 at a flea market.Saw starts easy and cuts great,but im having trouble with it idling.It will sit flat on the ground and idle fine,but as soon as you pick it up,it starts to idle very fast.Then if laid over on its right side(bar side)it idles down very slow and will die.The high side limiter cap was gone when I bought the saw.Any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance.
Sounds like a crank seal sucking air.

Likely lone wolf or redfin are correct (and ignore the other idiot), but I would also check the fuel line, and replace the filter & plug just cause U should.

If/when U check the boot, also check the impulse. line.

Good Luck, and let us know what it is.

Likely lone wolf or redfin are correct (and ignore the other idiot), but I would also check the fuel line, and replace the filter & plug just cause U should.

If/when U check the boot, also check the impulse. line.

Good Luck, and let us know what it is.
Wow we must be in high skl all the name calling lmao!!!

thanks for all the replies,you guys are the best.Crank seals was on my mind,never really thought of the intake boot.But it makes perfect sense.Im gonna tear into and find out first thing in the morning.Thanks again.and by the way Watson394,I have a Husky 372 sittin here in the building with a toasted piston lol.

thanks for all the replies,you guys are the best.Crank seals was on my mind,never really thought of the intake boot.But it makes perfect sense.Im gonna tear into and find out first thing in the morning.Thanks again.and by the way Watson394,I have a Husky 372 sittin here in the building with a toasted piston lol.
That's what happens buddy when you have lots of power an Rpms!! Lol wasn't tryin to make you mad.. I was goin to tell you to check the intake boot but someone beat me to it!!! Hope you get it fixed!!

No problems Watson.I got to antsy and went ahead and tore it down tonight.Very noticable hole in the impulse line.The boot looks good,but I think I will replace it while its down this far.New fuel pickup line too .Piston and cylinder look great,at least no damage was done.Thanks again everybody

No problems Watson.I got to antsy and went ahead and tore it down tonight.Very noticable hole in the impulse line.The boot looks good,but I think I will replace it while its down this far.New fuel pickup line too .Piston and cylinder look great,at least no damage was done.Thanks again everybody
Heard that buddy well glad it was something lil!! Good luck

Great news, thought the impulse was a possibility! If U have not already done it, a HD-2 air filter and DP muff cover (and get rid of the muff baffle) really help those saws, just remove the carb limiters and richin it up a bit. And if U want to take it to the next level, porting really helps those saws, my 046 really woke up to the porting.

Glad U found the problem, glad it was minor, and enjoy the saw!

Back