stihl 460 vs husky xp 385

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rad, one thing I forgot to mention but I think is important, when reading replies about what saw is best in a certain class, or best for a certain situation, try to determine if the poster is a hard core brand man.

That can be tough to do sometimes but when you see a guy hawking Stihls or Husky or whatever and only that, and he has 15 saws all the same brand, you aren't going to get an "unbiased" opinion from him.

So many users miss out on owning great saws because they have some kind of inexplicable loyalty to one brand. I will never understand it, when so many great saws are made by so many companies.

rad, one thing I forgot to mention but I think is important, when reading replies about what saw is best in a certain class, or best for a certain situation, try to determine if the poster is a hard core brand man.

That can be tough to do sometimes but when you see a guy hawking Stihls or Husky or whatever and only that, and he has 15 saws all the same brand, you aren't going to get an "unbiased" opinion from him.

So many users miss out on owning great saws because they have some kind of inexplicable loyalty to one brand. I will never understand it, when so many great saws are made by so many companies.

Good point. I used to be that way. But now I am Bi-Sawzual.
Ran Stihl for 13 years, and this year I have bought 6 Husky's.

I bought my 066 mag. redlight new when they first came out in the early 90s. I never 8hr day logged with it but now thats its over 15 yrs old its still as strong as it ever was. But for some time now I have been itching to try out a Husky 390 or 395. Air injection, spring anti-vibe,excellent ergonomics looks pretty good. I don't think I'll ever part with the ole trusty 066, but feel I just need a change. My new 372XP sure impressed me after running Stihls for 26 yrs.

I bought my 066 mag. redlight new when they first came out in the early 90s. I never 8hr day logged with it but now thats its over 15 yrs old its still as strong as it ever was. But for some time now I have been itching to try out a Husky 390 or 395. Air injection, spring anti-vibe,excellent ergonomics looks pretty good. I don't think I'll ever part with the ole trusty 066, but feel I just need a change. My new 372XP sure impressed me after running Stihls for 26 yrs.

The 385/390 have a good feel to them. Probably as good or better than the 066. The 394/395 are just cumbersome.

Well the 660 might have 0,5 hp more but that requires really big wood to be noticable. The benefits of the 390 you will note all the time though. Lighter, air injection!, spring mounts.. The 390 is 88cc which is almost 20cc! up from the 440. I think he will notice that. If he should buy the 660, he might as well buy the 395 and get even more power.

And I have run Stihls, my old 026 I used for at least 1000 hours. The 170 I have now I use now and then. Our old 020AVP.I've ran 460 and for 2 days I ran a 290 (worst experience in my life).

H110-0139_huge.jpg

Peter,

Have you owned and used both the 660 and 390? I have. The power to weight ratio is very similar, actually favoring the 660 by a bit. The fact that he owns a 440 makes me think the 660 is the ticket. Why? Both use same bars. Also consider that the 440 has 5.4 HP, the 390 has 6.5 HP and the 660 has 7 HP. The jump to the 660 is far more noticible. And, slap a dual port cover on that 660 and it's even more so.

There is a reason the 660 is a legend,

Joat

PS: Peter, you would become more "versatile" if you would run a few Stihls and report your findings objectively.

Last edited:
=If he should buy the 660, he might as well buy the 395 and get even more power.

And terrible handling in comparison. I've got friends that use 394/395 saws and they are pretty nice saws with a bunch of power, but they are a chore to use. I'd consider one only if I was bucking big timber or milling.

They aren't more powerful than a dp 660 though.

I think the 066 is more reliable and for weight to power ratio is great. The 385/390 PTO bearing is one of the weakspots. Seen alot of spun bearings on the crank and crankcase. Sometimes the carb is a bear and takes abit to adjust right.

I have a problem, i looked at two different saws today and am baffled as to which would be the best, I have a 260 and 440 stihl and am looking at a saw that could carry a larger bar like a 24-28''. My price is around 800 and the 460 and 385 are in the same range. each dealer says they are both great saws, not sure what to go with. Any advise

Thanks for the help

I've ran the 460 Stihl and the 385xp. They are both good saws and both pull a 24" bar in hardwood with authority. I believe you would like either one and I would probably base the decision on which dealer would provide the best service and support.

Latest posts

Back