STIHL 5604 000 7501 Bench Mount Saw Chain Filing Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk2c

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Love this forum.
Great to talk wood cutting with you all...
Like a lot of you I have been cutting wood for 40 plus years. And the older I get I find it easier to justify buying anything to make the job easier. Thats why I got a lot of stuff gathering dust;) as I am sure you can relate to.
Never been great at hand filing. Still have to take chain to hardware ever so often.
But Its difficult to take a chain in for grinding that has never been sharping by a machine and when I pick it up ½ for the tooth is gone. Its sharp for sure but a lot of life gone.
What do you guys think of this bar filing tool by Stihl.View attachment 218293 It’s pricey for sure at $200 but if it can do the job of a grinder I’ll be happy with it.
I have something similar View attachment 218292already much less expensive and it will not take the place of a grinder. The main reason is the clamping method used to secure chain will not hold chain perfectly plum.
Thanks in advance
Johnny Walker

If your gonna spend $200.00 on a hand filing mechanism is another $100.00 gonna break you? I got an Oregon 511a saw chain grinder that someone threw out at the dump (major score!!!) that was in perfect condition...... haven't hand filed since.

Go to Oregon saw's website and watch the video of there new bar mount saw sharpener, They claim in as little as 3 seconds you can have a sharp chain, It attaches to the tip of the bar and sharpens as you run the saw. I was once told you dont take your John Deer to the ford dealership to have work done to it so dont take your saw's or chains to a hardware store or a feed and seed to have em worked on, you never know whos doing the work, Find a good saw shop and they will do a much better job.

Go to Oregon saw's website and watch the video of there new bar mount saw sharpener, They claim in as little as 3 seconds you can have a sharp chain, It attaches to the tip of the bar and sharpens as you run the saw. I was once told you dont take your John Deer to the ford dealership to have work done to it so dont take your saw's or chains to a hardware store or a feed and seed to have em worked on, you never know whos doing the work, Find a good saw shop and they will do a much better job.

You can not use that sharpener on any chain. You have to use the Powersharp bar and chain. I don't have any experience or heard much about this but I would think it would wear the chain out quicker than standard sharpening. Don't take my word for this since I know nothing about them.

I have that stihl sharpener. Been very handy, I run my chain through it every so often. I usually hand-file, but when the angles start getting a little sloppy, I get cutting too deep, or the tooth length varies too much, I pull it out. It's still hand filing, but perfectly guided hand filing. And after using it the first time, I noticed my freehand filing improved greatly.

You can not use that sharpener on any chain. You have to use the Powersharp bar and chain. I don't have any experience or heard much about this but I would think it would wear the chain out quicker than standard sharpening. Don't take my word for this since I know nothing about them.

I got 12 sharpenings out of my powersharp rig. So if you are paying to have the chain sharpened, it is quite cost competitive.

I got 12 sharpenings out of my powersharp rig. So if you are paying to have the chain sharpened, it is quite cost competitive.

I'm using the PowerSharp on my Pouland 2550. Does a great job! A little spendie on getting setup.....but after that it's just buying another chain which comes with a new sharpening stone.

I didn't count how many sharpenings I've gotten .....

Another thing that I've noticed with PS is that they can be steered in the cut.....a little zig and zag.....

I think $200 for that jig is way too much. Heck for not too much more you can get a grinder. Not to mention $200 bucks would buy a crap load of chains depending on your bar size I would say 20 or so chains. Run through that many chains and save the money for a real nice chain grinder. JMHO

There is a whole thread on that Timberline sharpener in the chainsaw forum. They say it does a really nice job. I would like to have one but the price tag is a little steep for me. I will just hand file for now.

tecomec 510 sells on ebay for $150 from Russopower. I got a Carlton branded 510 grinder delivered to my door for $165. I dont think a $200 hand filing system beats a $165 commercial grade bench grinder.

Regards,

SAWs

200 bucks!!!!!!!

STIHL IS SMOKING CRACK!!! :angry:

For a fraction of that you can get a quality guide that will attach to your bar.

Latest posts

Back