Stihl Arctic generator information?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All,

Maybe a question for our northern friends in Canada, but I'm interested in knowing more about the arctic version of the 066. Does anybody know what sort of output the generators have?(Watts / Volts / Amps) or what the handle heaters are rated for? Here is where I'm going with this... if the generator puts out a regulated 12v DC (which I'm sure they don't, but I can deal with it), I'm considering running a 12v fan to create a "clean air filter" system that Husqvarna has used on their saws for a while. I do a lot of milling on a CSM, and the chips are small, or dusty just by nature of the type of cut. (And yes, I know how to properly sharpen a chain, dust in milling is just inevitable.) If I can create an electrically run fan to "centrifuge out" the dust, my air filter will stay much cleaner, longer. We Chainsaw millers tend to be tinkerers, always adjusting and modifying...

So I guess my questions are...
What sort of output does one get from the generator?
Can I just add a generator and flywheel to my existing 066 (does it just more or less bolt in, or is there a separate crankcase for it)? I've got the aluminum flywheel so I'll have to make sure I match coil / flywheels too.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

You'd probably do better asking this question in the milling forum.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'd guess the output is unregulated and fairly low wattage. We have a lot of issues with dust in aus, A lot of guys run the HD2 filters. I'm not that crazy about them but have them on my saws. The 660 especially is mega clogged with dust by the end of a days work, I can never figure whether it's because of the crappy intake design, or just because it runs a longer bar than the other saws (36", full comp) and is always taking a dust bath. I think probably the former. I tap the filter out once at around midday, and end of the day I give it a good clean out with a little pick and a blow off with compressed air.

If you're milling then shape/size/portability is probably less of an issue for you. There are better aftermarket filters available, or you could make up something of your own pretty easy. It would look pretty silly but probably work well. I've got a 441cm (28", full comp) and that thing has the exact same filter as the 660 on it. They've re-designed the intake path though, so I only have to clean it out once every couple months (used all day, 5 days a week). Maybe when they bring out the 661 it will have a better intake.

At the end of the day though, it's probably not a big deal. I've got tachs on all my saws, and even fully jammed with saw dust I have never noticed, felt, or heard any difference in performance. Worse case scenario it makes the saw run a little richer which isn't a bad thing anyhow.

You could do worse than to read BobL's progressive raker thread if you haven't already. I'd tried all different methods for setting my rakers, but the digital angle finder method is awesome. I set them at 6 degrees on the bigger saws, 7 degrees on 044's with 20" bars.

Shaun

This is an interesting idea. I dont know too much about the voltage etc produced but I am pretty sure that you can just purchase the generator, switch, and wire leads to retrofit your existing saw. The generator basically just goes under the flywheel and your existing case should have bolt holes for it.

Keep us posted how this goes!

Cheers-
Dan

That's an interesting idea.

I think though you'd be better off looking for an aftermarket 12 volt tool batteries and chargers, and running a 12 volt fan. Just swap them out and recharge as needed. Or go to a 18 or 24 volt setup. then just come up with an outside mount that rides along with the chainsaw on the mill. Small DC motors for the most part are sorta adaptable for a bit higher voltage.

Just anything really, tons of 12 volt tools out there, look for lithium ion batts, not nicad or NiMh. You most likely already have some, just score a fan and get to modding.

Thanks all for the replies, and to Cliffhanger9 for the additional emailed information.

Zogger, what a clever idea... wish I had thought of it... I already use 9.6v batts in my field drills at the milling site. If I upgrade to 12 (cheaply via second hand sources) with a truck charger, I may have a much easier (and cheaper) solution. I've got plenty of fans / fan blades and a few 12v tool motors. I think the impeller design is the best to get the dust out, I'll have to experiment with that.

Imagineero, yeah, I tap out my filter / pre filter (HD style) after every cut when milling. Just the nature of the task that I'm trying to eliminate / reduce. The saw can actually start to run rich at the end of a cut. I'll also have to look at the HD2 filters to see if there is any advantage.

I know what you mean by the improved intake design.. the Huskys and 441 style engines have an air port from the cooling fan to the intake area near the filter, and this "centrifuged air" is what keeps the filter clean. I'd think about adding one to my 066, but this would reduce the amount of cooling air, and during milling, I don't want to compromise that.

I know what you mean by a make shift additional filter, I just built one for my "weed eater powered bicycle" mostly as a method to reduce the engine noise comming from the intake port. Problem was that the extra stuff I attached to the carb on the engine stripped the carb bolts out of the block over time. I figured out a work around for the bike, but I don't want to mess up my 066 like that.

Yeah, BobL is a king over in the milling section, and has lots of good ideas. (That is where I often spend my Arborist site time) I use a progressive raker too, but not quite as sophisticated a measurement tool.

Thanks for the thoughts, and any additional ones are welcome!!!

Schumann

Latest posts

Back