Stihl Bar Oil- Is it really worth the price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following that YT channel for a while....unfortunately doesnt have subtitles (for you)....I do understand it though (Serbs are our distant neighbours)

Long story short..... :)

Stihl 362 MY2014 (video is 4months old...so do the math) came to his service center from a commercial grade user who uses it for cutting firewood for others.....he knows that guy....so he knows that he uses Stihl HP oil exclusively (he is buying material from his service)

It was said that the saw doesnt have power.....that it runs oddly etc. So first he checked sparkplug....and troughout the sparkplug hole he saw that "star" pattern and wrongly asumed that either piston is melting or some foeign metal particles entered into cylinder.....so he pulled its cylinder.

At the end nothing was wrong with P&C unit.....it was its air filter who was not sealing properly and thus letting sawdust into its airsystem (luckily that didnt damaged P&C)

But he was surprised that engine is so spotless and in minth condition after all this usage....and that with mineral Stihl HP

as I said HP is a FB grade oil , appropriate for most 2T applications . I have not witnessed any downside other than its over priced . I have never bought any Manufacturers oil . It's simple economics , why by a marginal product and pay xtra to line the Dealers pockets ?

Dont know for where you live....
....but I can get Stihl HP 1L for under 10euros per litre....usualky is around 9e/L

The only problem is....that I can find also oils as Shell ultra 2t....Motul 710 2t....and similar top of the notch synthetic/ester oils for almost the same price....in range between 12-15e/L :)

Dont know for where you live....
....but I can get Stihl HP 1L for under 10euros per litre....usualky is around 9e/L

The only problem is....that I can find also oils as Shell ultra 2t....Motul 710 2t....and similar top of the notch synthetic/ester oils for almost the same price....in range between 12-15e/L :)
Yeah , that pretty well sums up what I said , both the Shell & Motul especially , are equal and better overall choices . However , both are much more than what I currently pay for Saber , Dominator & Interceptor in my current applications !

In all seriousness, is Stihl bar oil worth the price? Nah, but I still find myself buying a jug here and there from my local dealer. Fuel too.
Most of the time I buy Harvest King bar oil and fuel from Runnings in CT when I visit my daughter. I haven't noticed any difference in performance between HK, Stihl,Husky, or County Line Bar oils. I only use canned fuels in my saws and trimmers as E-free fuel is hard to come by in my area. If I'm traveling and have a chance to hit up an E-free pump, I'll bring a can and make my own. It's a lot cheaper if I'm processing a large load.

as I said HP is a FC grade oil , appropriate for most 2T applications . I have not witnessed any downside other than its over priced . I have never bought any Manufacturers oil . It's simple economics , why by a marginal product and pay xtra to line the Dealers pockets ?
I don't believe that the orange bottle stihl in Canada or the US is FC quality. It's easily the poorest quality of the OEM oils and has been for some time.

Yes you are quite right, however it is still extremely sticky and stringy, in the right quantities this recipe is more than adequate for any bar/chain combo. One Husky 51 I own has the original bar on it from 1990. I realize that for the purists out there this is sacrilege, but to each his or her own.
Personally I dont know why guys think STP would do anything beneficial when making improvised bar oil. Of course I don't understand why someone would want to make improvised bar oil in the first place when cheaper dedicated products exist.

Its made by Castrol. Have no idea, but if I were placing a wager I would say FB too.
Stihl seems to be stuck about 35 years behind the times in oil technology.
Husky, Echo, Redmax, Dolmar etc all market modern FC and FD oils.
Yes, it is a Castrol product . The reason I ask its what the City Works Crews are using for all their units , blowers , trimmers etc . I personally have signed off on anything Stihl , tired of our local dealer & their proprietary issues !

To be fair, if I need bar oil, I'm not driving across town to save three bucks. I'll buy the $18 Stihl stuff and go cut wood.

Same, then I’ll look for opportunities after that. I’ll probably be somewhere cheaper before that gallon runs out.

Personally I dont know why guys think STP would do anything beneficial when making improvised bar oil. Of course I don't understand why someone would want to make improvised bar oil in the first place when cheaper dedicated products exist.
Just for clarification, I don't use STP alone, it is mixed with ATF. STP has what is known as "Adhesive oil" characteristics, able to cling to vertical surfaces with the ATF used as a thinner. Whenever auto transmission fluid is changed, I have two gallons of oil already paid for.

Back