Stihl Bow Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse my ignorance, and poor grammar, but what are these used for?

The large bows were mostly used in the south for cutting pulpwood. The narrow band of the bow lessened the probability of pinching in the wood and the operator could also buck logs while standing up. Mechanical harvesters and safety issues sent them to their death.

For more information, see "The History of Bow Saws" thread in the Stickies section at the top of the page.

When I think of a bow saw, I think of the Georgia pine forests.
Yes, very common around here when I was a kid and I still get lots of request from people wanting to buy them. the saw I learned on at 12 YOA was a Poulan Super 66 with a bow. ..still have the saw.

The large bows were mostly used in the south for cutting pulpwood. The narrow band of the bow lessened the probability of pinching in the wood and the operator could also buck logs while standing up. Mechanical harvesters and safety issues sent them to their death.

For more information, see "The History of Bow Saws" thread in the Stickies section at the top of the page.

Great! Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back