Stihl chain, more efficient with bar oil??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I would see much improvement in chain lubrication on my bow guide if I switched from 3/8" .063 Oregon to 3/8"X.063 Stihl. The thing is that the oiler is adjusted wide open. I can see that the bow is getting oil at the bottom and obviously it is getting some lube because the chain has oil on it,a nd neither it nor teh bow are showing signs of being burnt. The question is do those drive link grooves or holes make that much difference? If so which 3/8x.063 lubes best? Thanks,
J.D.

i have not tested any yet, but the Stihl chain with the holes in the drive links does look like it would do a good job of carrying oil. be a touch lighter also. if you have oil on the chain and no signs of burning i do not think it is much worry. just run good bar oil.

It has been my experience that the holes seem to work better on the hard tip bars on my small saws. It appeared to sling more oil off during a side by side comparison. If the bar is not getting burned then it is probably enough oil. If oil travel is a concern try a different brand and or weight.

Which 3/8" Stihl chains have the holes, not just the grooves? The 3/8" fullsize that I have had only the grooves. The .325 had the holes, but I'd rather not make a .325 chain for the bow, it would probably be a 105 link chain or something.

Diesel JD said:
Which 3/8" Stihl chains have the holes, not just the grooves? The 3/8" fullsize that I have had only the grooves. The .325 had the holes, but I'd rather not make a .325 chain for the bow, it would probably be a 105 link chain or something.

Cannot help you with full 3/8 with holes. The little saws I was talking about run mini 3/8. All Stihl full 3/8 that I have either has slots or nothing. I do not buy Stihl chain new from a Stihl dealer. I usually get it on saws or in bulk buys.

The slots seem to have basically the same effect as the holes on the hard tip bar.

Back