Stihl chain on a Husky ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWE#Kipp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi just wonder if i can use a Stihl .325 on my 346xpg ??
13" 56dl 1,5 guage think it was a rs chain,,,,

thanks / Kristoffer

:dizzy:

yes and its square filed narrow kerf (atop racing cut )
i also use the husqvarna s25 chain (also squared)
just want to see if can get more speed out of the sthil chain =)

thanks / Kristoffer

Is the husky s25 chain the same as oregon 20lp or 33lg? Do you find the narrow kerf to be faster? I have found the 95vp to be the fastest of all the chains I have tried but I only round file. Looking at the profile of the teeth and noticing the stihl chain has the largest cutter and the most "crisp" looking corner, I would think it would be the fastest square filed.

its like the 95 vp i think only a larger kerf ,, not sure though ,, but it has thicker cutters which are easier to square file i think ,,,

/Kristoffer

After a few days of exposure, you will notice a slight rash on your Husky,
unless of course your saw is allergic, which you should notice right off.
The husky then will have it's piston melt, which is a normal occurrence with
them anyway, so the culprit is usually hard to determine.
It is best to use only Poulan/Oregon stuff on the Husky, they feel at home.

I know the saw wont crash ,,,
tough i'm not good at the different chain manufactures, but i do like to file them and see how sharp i can get them :)
LOL on you :)

/Kristoffer :dizzy:

Seriously, though. I think you'll find the stihl chain seems to file the hardest and when round filing it uses a 13/64 file as opposed to a 3/16 for most other .325 chain. I dont know what kind of difference that translates into for square filing but take it for what its worth....

not me Brent. I like a bit of hook to my cutter, so i use 3/16th, or even 11/64, and the smaller size for sure when the cutters are shorter and smaller.

In fact, I prefer 13/64 over 7/32 on 3/8th chisel...after a while on a chain, when I tire of the tedious hand square filing..and 3.16 when those cutters are short...

it seems to me that the Stihl .325 cutter is quite a bit faster than the smaller oregon

I guess it depends on what you have for a saw and what you are cutting. Modified saws in softwood might do better with a hooked tooth taking a bigger bite but I can tell you that my stock saws in maple or beech will cut faster with the correct sideplate hook. A bigger hook or lower than recommended rakers often gives the impression of faster cuts because they are so grabby. I use 7/32 file on 3/8 oregon and carlton chain and go to 13/64 when the tooth gets halfway gone. My stihl 3/8 and .325 start out with 13/64 and end up with 3/16. My .325 oregon (95vp and 20lp) start with 3/16 and go down to a 4.5mm.

Ok the thing is its not that easy to find a square chisel chain here in sweden most shops (were i live) just keeps round chisel in stash you have to "special" order square ones.
but at a farm outlet i did find a basket full cheap rs chain, and when i look at the stihl site they seem square to me ,, so i guess i have to try one and see,,
my concern is for the rim and nose wheel ,,,

/Kristoffer

:dizzy:

Back