Stihl chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the difference between 36RM and 36RM2? Dumb answers only, nothing specific

OK ... here's your answer .... drum roll, please ....................................................................... 2

You're welcome ....

Ok let me clarify. What is triple-humped tie strap? low kickback

What is triple-humped tie strap?
Different question. Low kickback chains usually have some type of 'bumper' to fill in the space between cutters, as the chain passes around the upper portion of the bar nose, where kickback occurs. There are several different designs. Some are part of the tie strap (less popular - restrict chip removal and bore cutting). Newer ones are part of the drive link (less obtrusive, work better, easier to sharpen).

The triple-hump tie strap is an older design, that, well, had 3 humps and was part of the tie straps.

Screen shot 2016-01-27 at 7.32.51 PM.png

Philbert

Some people hate any low-kickback chain, as a matter of principle. I find that if they are sharpened correctly, they cut fine for me, especially on bars up to 20 inches, and similar sized wood. In bigger wood, the chip carrying capacity decreases, and they don't work well for bore cutting. I prefer the bumper drive link chain, as noted above - seen people win races with those.

Biggest performance gain is from keeping your chain sharp.

Screen shot 2016-01-27 at 7.56.22 PM.png

Philbert

Back