Stihl Chainsaw Advise/ Price Check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriCountyLawn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright guys its time for me to get a new saw. Ive been using my ole mans old saw forever (Stihl cant remember the model). A Chainsaw has been one of those tools that we use just enough that I used my dads. I just got a pretty good size brush/woods clean-up job and im gonna bite the bullet and get my own saw.

Prioir to this job I only used a chainsaw for downed trees and cutting timbers on retaining walls ect. However now my new home has a fireplace and woodburner and my new shop is heated by wood. So... A little more use for a saw now.

So just kinda looking for advise as to what saw to get. Im kinda looking at the MS260. I kinda want a saw that might be a lil overkill so to speak that way I dont ever grow out of it. And its going to have to stand up to employe use also ( we all know how that is).

Now just another quick question. I see the MS290 is listed under "Mid-Range" and the MS260 is under "Professional" So what makes them different?

I posted this at Lawnsite and it was recomended that I ask this here. Looks like a good site. Look forward to posting in the future.

Thanks

If you are going to heat two buildings with wood I would think an 026 would hardly be considered 'overkill'. Look at a 361 and then but a junker, or the 026, for your employees. I would never let employees run a saw that I had to have running to keep me warm.
John...

Either one 260/290 would probably suit your purpose well. The 260 would probably hold a better resale value due to perception, though imo, not last any longer with proper care.
Its really up to you. You seem to have a handle on what size you need, rare for these type questions here. Theres a few differences in them that would come into play if you ever wanted to modify it, but bone stock other than weight, not much difference. the 290 is slightly more powerful, but not enough to really notice.

BTW, welcome to the site!
-Ralph

Go with the Stihl MS 361. If you're wanting more saw than you think you'll need, for the job you describe, the 361 is the ticket. It's a true professional grade saw, and will cut and last as such, without you having to buy a 440 or something FAR larger than what you need. The 260 is a fine saw as well, but your statement about a bit of overkill made me think 361, as the 260 would probably be just about right.

As far as the 290 vs. the 260, do a search on this forum for "homeowner vs. professional." It'll all be explained in there. There's several threads on that very topic. It all comes down to saw constuction, power to weight ratio and additional features of the saw.

Welcome to AS TriCounty. Your location says, "NW Indian." Is that a typo, and you're from my home state of Indiana? Or are you truely a Native American out my way now in Washington or AK?

Jeff

The matter of the 290 has been discussed at length. It and its kin (310, 390) are of lesser durability for day-in, day-out use, but are VERY solid saws for the occasional user. I have cut an amazing amount of wood with mine and it has never given me the slightest bit of trouble. A quick search will reveal literally dozens of posts on the topic of the 290, so I won't retype all the info.

As for the 260, I think that most would agree that it is a good 50cc pro-quality saw. However, depending on what exactly you intend to cut, it may not be as much saw as you need or want. Most would agree that a saw in the 361-class would be a better all-around saw if there is any chance of needing to cut larger material. Similarly, the 361 and 260 have been discussed at length and you can quickly learn a great deal by reading over some previous posts. Also consider that the 260 is at its best with a 16" bar, and if you anticipate needing more bar than that then you probably need more saw than that, too. The 361 seems to like an 18" or 20" setup best.

If I were looking to get a single Stihl saw to meet most of the needs of a homeowner and occasional user, I would probably go with the 361 unless I anticipated that I was going to encounter big hardwoods on a regular basis. It would be a good all-around saw. I do most of my cutting with my 80cc Dolmar (similar in performance to Stihl's 460), except for twigs and brush. I completely agree with the virtue of having more saw than you usually need - it makes work go faster, which is less tiring, which reduces liklihood of accidents and making mistakes. But in all honesty I could do everything except flush-cutting stumps with a 361.

One other consideration is that you may be using this saw as part of your vocation. This consideration, in my opinion, suggests that you might want to have two saws, preferably identical for parts interchangeability. Having a saw go down in the middle of a job is a huge HUGE waste of time, especially if you are not close to a saw shop that has the parts you need and have to spend half the day driving around. Just something to consider. I might even go so far as to suggest (and I know folks are going to cringe at this) buying two 290s in your circumstances, as you could get them for a little more than the cost of a single 361.

Check the weight diffences about 3lbs if memory serves me right. The 290 is cheaper than the 260. I have an older 026 and really like it, good small, light saw.
Jeff

Thanks for the resonse guys. Yeah fishhuntcutwood im from NW Indiana, sorry about the typo...haha Im in the Laporte/Michigan City area.

What kinda prices are we looking at for the MS361 or MS260? Probaly going to get a saw Friday and dont want to get sticker shock:dizzy:

computeruser said:
The matter of the 290 has been discussed at length. It and its kin (310, 390) are of lesser durability for day-in, day-out use. A quick search will reveal literally dozens of posts on the topic, so I won't retype all the info.
Really? and to think stihltech posted that the 290 almost never needs worked on. Case in point, I have a 29 super and a 360 pro in the truck for bustin brush. both are used about the same amount, and the 29 is a year older. they both receive the same attention as far as service and cleaning. They both pull 20" 3/8 bars. The 29 is a lot more reliable saw, cuts right with the 360pro, and cost 1/2 as much. Think I'll ever waste my money on another 36x series saw again? After receiving the same good service as each other and all my other saws, the only one needing a top end after a years service was the 360. Hence my favor of the 290/029 saw, and disgust with the 36x series junk. The 290, while not a 460/660 is a tough little capable saw. Unjustly underrated on this site. Heck, they stand up to homeowner abuse well.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Really? and to think stihltech posted that the 290 almost never needs worked on. Case in point, I have a 29 super and a 360 pro in the truck for bustin brush. both are used about the same amount, and the 29 is a year older. they both receive the same attention as far as service and cleaning. They both pull 20" 3/8 bars. The 29 is a lot more reliable saw, cuts right with the 360pro, and cost 1/2 as much. Think I'll ever waste my money on another 36x series saw again? After receiving the same good service as each other and all my other saws, the only one needing a top end after a years service was the 360. Hence my favor of the 290/029 saw, and disgust with the 36x series junk. The 290, while not a 460/660 is a tough little capable saw. Unjustly underrated on this site. Heck, they stand up to homeowner abuse well.
-Ralph

I was just summarizing the general perception.

I have no personal experience with the 36x saws' long-term performance, but I, too, have had nothing but good experiences with the 290. Only complaint is that its oiler doesn't put out as much juice as I would like (a subjective thing) when running a 20" bar. The 290 is the only saw that I've ever owned that ALWAYS works and it is a heck of a value, hence my suggestion that TriCountyLawn consider buying a pair of 'em.

I love 029s also and would take one over a 026 any day for anything but climbing. They last forever and are dirt cheap and the extra pound or two does not make much difference to me. I don't dislike 36 series saws as much as begleytree does but it's hard to not notice they cost twice as much.
John..

:blush:
computeruser, I just reread your post, and saw that. My bad.
-Ralph

computeruser said:
I was just summarizing the general perception.

It's not the general perception, just one that get's posted all the time.

I have an 026 and it's a very capable little saw even at 18". I also have an 034 that I use when I want one notch bigger saw. For the big stuff I use an 046 or 066 but really don't really need the 066 since the 046 can do everything.

If you're doing average to small stuff go for the 260. If you're going to be doing some big stumping/bucking or hardwood then go 361. The 290 gets bashed here but that's because it's a pig in terms of power to weight ratio however it makes up for it in $/HP ratio.

If you not hung up on Stihl then the best of class 50 cc saw is a Dolmar PS5100. It's midway between the 260/361 in power, close to 260 weight, and actually lower then 260 price. However if you need local dealer support and have no backup option it may not be your best choice.

I love my MS290. For the longest time it was the only ground saw I had. For three years it diced the brush in the trailer, knocked the tree over, and then cut it into managable pieces. My 290 has NEVER been to the shop. I have had ZERO problems with it. The saw is now 4 years old and it still runs as good as the day I got it. The 260's are nice when you are climbing, but I dont think they are worth the money if you arent gonna climb with it. Buy a 290 you will love it.

I think that 290s are MSRPing at about $310 with a 16" nowadays. Most folks seem to like running an 18" bar and full chisel chain unless really dirty cutting is anticipated. I run a 20" on mine with satisfactory results.

I went throught this last year(Hey I can say that now).

I purchased the MS260 to replace a poulan 2150 that was nothing but problems which had replace a big old red sears that ran like a trooper for years and years but finally imploded and I couldn't get parts for it.

I went through the 260/290 debate but after reading this forum I saw nothing bad about the 260. Also I wanted the light weight of the MS260 for brushing and clearing knowing that I would be using every day, all day for a month or 2.

Now after well over 100 tanks of fuel I still love the saw. With clearing and brushing and piling I was going through 4 tanks of fuel a day, It is very good on fuel. 2 pulls cold, 1 pull warm, every time. Cuts like a mad beaver unless I hit a rock with it and it need sharpening.

Of course it is all a matter of perspective as with the MS260 on stuff over 12-16 inches. I was happy with the MS260 but now that I have the MS660 which goes through the larger stuff like butter now the MS260 seems very slow in comparison on stuff over 12 inches.

It really all depends on the size of your wood and what your expectations are but I would buy another MS260 in a flash. I especially love the balance of it!

Back