• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl chainsaw capable of running 25" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, this is a bogus title . . . and it gets worse....

My father called today and said he has a buddy looking for a Stihl chainsaw, "MS391 or larger". I asked for a little more detail and he said he thought the guy just wants one to run a 25" bar, so larger is probably a better option than a 391. Obviously something like a 361 or 362 would fit the bill better on the low end though. A 440/441 or 460/461 would be a better choice, but we'll just see what's out there.

Now, to make matters worse, he didn't say how much he wanted to spend, but I've got a good idea of fair prices and good deals, so I'll handle that part for him I suppose. I may have to play a little middleman when it comes to agreeing on a price, but I won't give anyone more runaround than necessary.

So, if anyone has a saw that falls within this mess of a request let me know as much as you can about it and the price including shipping to zip 46112 and we can go from there. I'm perfectly fine with a project saw regardless of the model.

I don't have a ton of stuff, but can offer up some trade if it isn't needed for a project if that's the way this works out. I have an 046 carcass including a good complete case with a starter & tank housing - also have a lose top end for it and muffler and the top cover/shroud. I have an NWP Big Bore kit for a 440 also, brand new in the box from Baileys. I have an S10 powerhead that runs, but could use an overhaul although I know that's not a popular collector's model.

Reply here or PM me, whichever is your preference. Thanks.

Maybe you could build the 046 for him?

That's a good thought, and I considered building it when I got the parts, but its simply missing too much. I made a list of what I would need to purchase (new or used) and it's literally dozens of parts ranging from small to large, so it would take a very long time to round them all up and would get costly fast. It needs the air filter cover, wrap handle, brake handle, brake components, entire clutch/sprocket assembly, oil pump, worm gear, complete air filter & carb setup, clutch cover, chain tensioner, all hoses, and most fasteners . . . and that's not a comprehensive list. Not to mention due diligence on a rebuild would include new oil seals and piston rings.

I've hung onto the parts to repair a different saw if I came across one, but may end up just selling them off . . . this one is just too picked over to resurrect.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back