Stihl FG-2 filing jig discontinued???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granberg...chain off saw

I locked an old bar in the vise and mounted my Granberg in it's usual way. Used an old 3/8 chain that I'm saving for stumps. As long as the unit was mounted correctly and the front vice that snugs up on the rivets is good it seems to work alright/normally. I was concerned about the cutter moving some w/o being snugged onto the bar by the saw itself but it seems to remain in place during the filing stroke. Haven't tried it yet but will try this for my current sharp chain when it's due. Then I'll know for sure. Yours looks quite modified when compared to mine. I don't see the front rivet-vice in place. But you might have worked on it some to make it fit your bar. Looks like it'll work fine. I'm simply going to try this again so I can try it cutting. Good idea...thanks. If it doesn't work out well it can be modified later. But if it works, it's pretty simple so far.

"Or you could just make the rails and clamp the jig to it like you would on the bar."
DSCF0122_zps26d9d4c8.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I did quite a bit of cutting on my Granberg to mount it the way I did. I cut one side completely and shortened the other. It's bolted to one side of a piece of 1"X1/8" flat bar then a couple of spacers then another piece of flat bar. I'm going to make a clamp like on the FG-2 to squeeze the rails and stabalize the chain. You could just make the rails from flat bar and the clamp squeeze the rails and then clamp the un-modified Granberg like on a bar, but I didn't want to have to mount and unmount the jig every time. Right now I only have .325 chain to sharpen anyway. And I think with a little more grinding I can make it work for 1/4 and 3/8 chain too.

What you have done should work fine and you don't have to irreversibly modifiy your jig.

I locked an old bar in the vise and mounted my Granberg in it's usual way. Used an old 3/8 chain that I'm saving for stumps. As long as the unit was mounted correctly and the front vice that snugs up on the rivets is good it seems to work alright/normally. I was concerned about the cutter moving some w/o being snugged onto the bar by the saw itself but it seems to remain in place during the filing stroke. Haven't tried it yet but will try this for my current sharp chain when it's due. Then I'll know for sure. Yours looks quite modified when compared to mine. I don't see the front rivet-vice in place. But you might have worked on it some to make it fit your bar. Looks like it'll work fine. I'm simply going to try this again so I can try it cutting. Good idea...thanks. If it doesn't work out well it can be modified later. But if it works, it's pretty simple so far.

"Or you could just make the rails and clamp the jig to it like you would on the bar."
DSCF0122_zps26d9d4c8.jpg

Maybe an old sprocket and bungee to hold tension on the chain?

Back