Stihl Fs55r pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac&Homelite

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am trying to see if purchasing a Hutzl pole saw gearbox to make my Stihl Fs55r a small pole saw is a viable idea? I don't have a bigger powerhead unit yet (too cheap) and am trying to see if I can make this setup work. I am aware that the fs55r has a flex shaft inside, which is why I am wary to use the pole saw on it.

The sprocket on the gearhead has a friction concave washer type sprocket that is designed to slip under high load and absorb shock instead of shearing a drive shaft or end adapter.
All you can do is try it.
I'd use .043 gauge chain with a short 10" bar too.

Ok then, I think I will have to try that. At the very worst, I break something and have an excuse to upgrade to a larger power head.

Well I got the head and I ended up buying a 12'' .043 bar for it. It went on perfectly on the trimmer and I don't notice anything odd about the performance with it on. It actually seems likes it is easier on the powerhead than when I put on the brushcutter.

I hate the friction washer setup that's designed to slip. In Oz hardwood its a pain in the A$$! Don't matter how tight I try to make it....it slips. If I did'nt need a pole saw 'now' I'd have got something else. After running other brands for years the Stihl is dissapointing.

I am wondering if stihl has only made one maximum length for there telescopic shaft polesaws. I also am noticing my FS75 powerhead is having issues with oiling the bar and it seems like the oil isn't getting to the chain right now. I find it is getting everywhere in between the bar and gearhead. Also wondering if a slight bend in the outershaft furthest from the gearhead will cause the gearheads bearings to wear out prematurely? Thanks

Sounds like the bar isn't mating properly, might recheck the bar/tensioner area.

As far as a bent shaft wearing out bearings, I'd say yes. Bent things never do anything good.

Sounds like the bar isn't mating properly, might recheck the bar/tensioner area.

As far as a bent shaft wearing out bearings, I'd say yes. Bent things never do anything good.
I understand that and that is something I didnt try checking out since I figured it would have to match up because the bar is a Stihl 12" 0.43 gauge which is what the manual says is correct. Thanks

What am I checking it for just to be certain? Im assuming the oil port and the smaller opening in the bar that only is going thru one side. I have a HT75 gearhead and I was only asking about the bent thing because there is someone who is selling the correct shaft with the end shaft piece bent at the end and was wondering if that bearing is likely toast? If anyone knows how much it would cost to replace that bearing and how difficult it would be please say so. Thanks

An is there any reason I can't take a HT75 shaft and gearhead and put it on a FS130 powerhead? If there is a issue such as the pitons ratio's that would matter much then guess ill keep it on the 75 powerhead? An if that isn't going to work what about putting it on FS90 powerhead instead? Thanks for any advice given as always

Latest posts

Back