Stihl Getting Ripped Off In Australia...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
200T's have been over $1500 down here for ages, they were over $1200 years ago, for serious use I can tell ya buying 192T's, solos, oleo-macs, echo shyte and hardware store junk is all just a total waste of money though, the tinky toys are always bad news in the bush, skimping on the initial costs never works out, running crap saws is the worse thing to do, the wise operators still cough up the dosh and go with the atrociously priced machine

Hey I agree mate. The 200T's are most certainly the benchmark although if I hadn't have bought that near new 200T off of Brad for a good price I'd probably have gotten a 338XPT which I can land here for about AUD$700. In any pro sense a 200T will pay for itself even if it's worth $10,000 but at the same time I still scratch my head over the Australian (and NZ ;) ) price difference compared to the states. You guys across the ditch are probably getting ripped off even more than we are here :cheers:

MCW,

Just playin' devils advocate here.

Is there some sort of imprt tarrif,VAT mechanism that gets multiplied several times before retail, or other Govt. hogwash going on here?

Common sense would dictate that to remain competitive, the Oz Stihl importers would at least try to remain somewhat "In the hunt" with the price, to keep Husky from stealing thier lunch.

What about getting ahold of Stihl Germany and thanking them for making you buy a Husky/Dolmar/Jhonny red that ya dearly love?

LOL!!
I gotta feel for ya man. I have Kin in the RSA, and I always manage to lose quite a bit if Kit while visting... I hope things don't go that far in Oz.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

bloke on ebay AU got one for start bid $899,spose if you got it for A grand thats $550 in your pocket:cheers:150446924920 item number

There seem to be quite a few of those on AU ebay and looking at the prices they could well be imports. There have also been a few 260 Pro's which is a US model as far as I know. A couple of MS311/391's also popped up after they were released in the US. The prices are quite reasonable also. So importing must be quite good business I'm guessing...

No there isn't any regulations but there is a surprising amount of forearm injuries from top handled saws. Generally to people that get a bit blasé with their use. You'll cut your arm off just as fast with a 192T or any other top handled saw though.
That still doesn't explain the US to Australia price gap though, particularly when the US has such a high number of lawsuits (well it seems that way?).

I know a number of fruit property owners who will not buy tophandled pruning saws as they are concerned their employees will cut their arms off, which they probably will ;)

Well if you are not regulating them, it must be the import tariffs. Does your country have high import tax on German goods?? Germany an approved trade partner, Australian EU relations and all that other good economic/political stuff I have so long forgotten about?? Also part of the answer could lie in volume. How many units are sold in the US vs Australia. High volume sales should lower costs.

MCW,

Just playin' devils advocate here.

Is there some sort of imprt tarrif,VAT mechanism that gets multiplied several times before retail, or other Govt. hogwash going on here?

Common sense would dictate that to remain competitive, the Oz Stihl importers would at least try to remain somewhat "In the hunt" with the price, to keep Husky from stealing thier lunch.

What about getting ahold of Stihl Germany and thanking them for making you buy a Husky/Dolmar/Jhonny red that ya dearly love?

LOL!!
I gotta feel for ya man. I have Kin in the RSA, and I always manage to lose quite a bit if Kit while visting... I hope things don't go that far in Oz.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm not right up on the tarrifs mate but I know that there is a mechanism in place to protect Australian manufacturers against imports. Years ago when I used to install competiton car stereos I remember that there were import taxes/tarrifs on car head units to protect Australian manufacturers. Problem was that there wasn't any Australian car audio head unit manufacturers to protect? We are tax heavy but I swear the Stihl importers/distributors must be making a fortune at the expense of their dealers. I've lost count of how many guys have come home with Farm Boss saws. One of the employees on this corporate farm where I'm felling trees asked me if I'm using a Stihl Farm Boss as that was his idea of a top model saw. He was taken aback when I told him a Farm Boss wouldn't have a hope of matching my 7900's on a job like this. I don't think he quite understood the difference between a good homeowner saw and a pro saw.

As far as Husky goes, their advertising is garbage. Pros, or guys in the know, will basically buy Husky or Stihl regardless of advertising. As far as homeowners go though Stihl has Husky well and truly covered. Stihl has some really good advertising going to the point that if you didn't know any better you'd think Stihl = chainsaw and there are no other brands made.
The two local Husky dealers now have absolutely NO saws on their shelves and only get them in to order. Stihl is the exact opposite with plenty of models on display although only go up to about a 441. Bigger saws in my area are rare. A 20" bar is big ;)
Even my favourite Husky dealer is starting to slip. I took my 3120 in there the other month for a service (required warranty book ervice) and he couldn't get to it for 4 weeks, or so he said. All it needed was a check tune as I'd already ground the chain. You spend over 2 grand on a saw, he knows you have a tree felling business, yet he still dragged his arse with the service. Very disappointing.
Next time he tells me that he can't look at it for a month we'll be having words...
Getting a bot off topic but these guys sit on their arses expecting customners to come to them then whinge like hell that they haven't had local support when they go broke. With my job as an Agronomist I have to actually get out and BRING IN business.

Well if you are not regulating them, it must be the import tariffs. Does your country have high import tax on German goods?? Germany an approved trade partner, Australian EU relations and all that other good economic/political stuff I have so long forgotten about?? Also part of the answer could lie in volume. How many units are sold in the US vs Australia. High volume sales should lower costs.

I have no doubt that lower volumes will increase costs but my problem lies with the fact that I can buy a saw from the US, including freight which is quite high, and STILL buy a saw cheaper than an Australian dealer's cost.
As far as trade agreements go don't get me started. Australia has a habit of bending over in trade negotiations and before you know it you've been flooded with stuff from, lets say China, and have not sent one article back their way despite the original agreements. As a rule though Australia and US trade relations are excellent. I'm not sure what we export to Germany? Probably just dope smoking backpackers :) I think we take all of their stuff. I could be wrong but I would think that any Stihls or Huskies sold by dealers in Australia would have been via the US anyway, regardless of country of origin.

MCW,

Ya know, the way you describe things, it may just be good old fashioned Market domination going on.

If Husky ain't advertising or putting the fangs into the market, the Stihl gang is free to have thier way with your wallet without fears.

That sucks.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have no doubt that lower volumes will increase costs but my problem lies with the fact that I can buy a saw from the US, including freight which is quite high, and STILL buy a saw cheaper than an Australian dealer's cost.
As far as trade agreements go don't get me started. Australia has a habit of bending over in trade negotiations and before you know it you've been flooded with stuff from, lets say China, and have not sent one article back their way despite the original agreements. As a rule though Australia and US trade relations are excellent. I'm not sure what we export to Germany? Probably just dope smoking backpackers :) I think we take all of their stuff. I could be wrong but I would think that any Stihls or Huskies sold by dealers in Australia would have been via the US anyway, regardless of country of origin.

All of the 200t I have owned were German made. I have no idea how Stihls distribution network operates, but if your dealers are sourcing saws from the US, the middle man theory is probably why costs are so high. Everyone needs to make a little including the governments.

Business theory tells us that “opportunities” or loopholes are usually quickly exploited. If you have a decent market for 200t and a good working relationship with someone in the states, you might be able to make some beer money with used saws.

MCW,

Ya know, the way you describe things, it may just be good old fashioned Market domination going on.

If Husky ain't advertising or putting the fangs into the market, the Stihl gang is free to have thier way with your wallet without fears.

That sucks.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm pretty sure the market domination theory is correct :cheers: Like I mentioned though, I'm sure it's not the dealers, but the Aussie distributor.

All of the 200t I have owned were German made. I have no idea how Stihls distribution network operates, but if your dealers are sourcing saws from the US, the middle man theory is probably why costs are so high. Everyone needs to make a little including the governments.

I know middle men have to make money including the government however the company I work for just cut out the middle men and started importing our own specialty tech grade fertiliser direct from the manufacturers. All of a sudden we realised the mark up those "middle men" were making. Everytime we won a large tech grade fertiliser quote, those "middle men" were making four times the profit we were.

Business theory tells us that “opportunities” or loopholes are usually quickly exploited. If you have a decent market for 200t and a good working relationship with someone in the states, you might be able to make some beer money with used saws.

Beer money :) Trust me the thought has crossed my mind with saws but I've already done that on bars, sprockets, and chains a while ago thanks to a great dealer in the states who cut me in on a large Stens sale. I've also done it with golf gear :cheers: Saws will be next. I've already been asked a number of times about what pro saws I use and have had a fair bit of interest in my Dolmars.

Volume saving are only one aspect the other biggies is maintaining market dominance/share in a huge consumer market. It's not just that AUS gets a raw deal, we pay the same as just about everyone else, except the US. The prices I see in just about every European Stihl store are Aussie prices +/- sales tax/GST/VAT differentials.

The size of the US consumer market means has been buying stuff from corporates at bargain basement prices and often below cost for many years - the corporates don't care because they never lose, they just mark up everyone elses costs accordingly. This situation cannot last, some folks are sure gonna get a shock when it does.

BTW I'm not bagging the US here. If AUS was in the same position I would be lining up at home depot along with everyone else like i do when I go there.

Volume saving are only one aspect the other biggies is maintaining market dominance/share in a huge consumer market. It's not just that AUS gets a raw deal, we pay the same as just about everyone else, except the US. The prices I see in just about every European Stihl store are Aussie prices +/- sales tax/GST/VAT differentials.

The size of the US consumer market means has been buying stuff from corporates at bargain basement prices and often below cost for many years - the corporates don't care because they never lose, they just mark up everyone elses costs accordingly. This situation cannot last, some folks are sure gonna get a shock when it does.

BTW I'm not bagging the US here. If AUS was in the same position I would be lining up at home depot along with everyone else like i do when I go there.

Well said Bob and makes perfect sense but as far as the 200T goes I still can't believe that in Australia the RRP is around the same as you can buy an MS660 for at the moment. It would be fair enough if most Stihl dealers didn't charge so much for associated Stihl chainsaw gear such as chain and bars etc.

No you're exactly right Nardoo. I've imported golf gear for massive reductions (and it's genuine stuff), fishing gear that is top of the line but costs about a third of the price here, etc etc. I've also imported reloading gear too. Pity I can't get projectiles in without the proper paperwork and Customs forms as I'd be importing tonnes of those. They've gone through the bloody roof in the last few years in Australia despite the high dollar. We well and truly get ripped off here on gun related stuff :(

Check these guys out for making your own projectiles. Looks like you would save quite a bit of money! http://www.corbins.com/

Do you guys in OZ have a "special vat tax" for firearms and related items?

Bingo !

Check these guys out for making your own projectiles. Looks like you would save quite a bit of money! http://www.corbins.com/

Do you guys in OZ have a "special vat tax" for firearms and related items?

Not as far as I'm aware, but you'd need a special customs clearance to import I think. Bang Sticks and associated gear are considered naughty and deviant these days.

BTW, Import Duty on saws here is 0% and 5% on bars and accessories. GST (VAT) is 10% which you don't cop on privately imported goods under A$1000 in value.

Latest posts

Back