Stihl HT 101Pole Saw Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Justice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A group used my pole saw in a response this weekend. And this happened. And yes I’ve learned a lesson. My equipment only goes if I am there with it. I’m Thinking it was overextended by a novice. Will this need to go to a shop for repair? I welcome any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1D62413B-695D-4F7E-A8A0-5647D0AB759A.jpeg
    1D62413B-695D-4F7E-A8A0-5647D0AB759A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • E9EA0F34-3BE6-4EDC-92A8-59D356CFE5FD.jpeg
    E9EA0F34-3BE6-4EDC-92A8-59D356CFE5FD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
A group used my pole saw in a response this weekend. And this happened. And yes I’ve learned a lesson. My equipment only goes if I am there with it. I’m Thinking it was overextended by a novice. Will this need to go to a shop for repair? I welcome any advice. Thanks!
Is that a HT107? Stihl USA doesn't list a 107???

IT IS AN HT101

Attachments

• F1AE0D27-B2D0-46CD-B1D9-B72F0D73ECFB.jpeg
    F1AE0D27-B2D0-46CD-B1D9-B72F0D73ECFB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Also just found this more recent? video on the HT101 shaft. Learning things🙂….

I’m thinking an inexperienced operator overextended pole?

I have had about a dozen come in with the same problem. First, it is very difficult to over extend the tube as there are build in stops to prevent that with normal extension pressure. I have found that in most cases, the first under cut on a limb was too great and the limb dropped and pinched the bar. The operator then yanks and yanks to try and pull the bar free. The end result is forcing the tube past the built in extension stop. The end result of that is a whole bunch of slides, springs, spacers, etc. in your hands and the outer extension still hanging from the limb. Most can be reassembled with little cost. You must however check for any damage to the tiny bearing cages inside the large guides/spacers and possible damage to the drive shaft, snap rings, etc. Also, attention should be given to the end tube itself with the bar on it. Any dents/scars/bends will require replacement. If there are any kinks in either of the large springs, replace them. If you are unsure where everything goes, go here: https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ht-101/
Good luck and let us know how it went. :cool: OT

Thought it might be a HT101
Check your inbox for some manuals. Also found this

Why is it coming apart like that to have those spring things in the open. My help has had it come apart like he is putting it back together at minute 16:40. I have a feeling it had happened multiple times before I was present to witness.

I have had about a dozen come in with the same problem. First, it is very difficult to over extend the tube as there are build in stops to prevent that with normal extension pressure. I have found that in most cases, the first under cut on a limb was too great and the limb dropped and pinched the bar. The operator then yanks and yanks to try and pull the bar free. The end result is forcing the tube past the built in extension stop. The end result of that is a whole bunch of slides, springs, spacers, etc. in your hands and the outer extension still hanging from the limb. Most can be reassembled with little cost. You must however check for any damage to the tiny bearing cages inside the large guides/spacers and possible damage to the drive shaft, snap rings, etc. Also, attention should be given to the end tube itself with the bar on it. Any dents/scars/bends will require replacement. If there are any kinks in either of the large springs, replace them. If you are unsure where everything goes, go here: https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ht-101/
Oletrapper,
Much thanks and Agreed…. I was not there when it happened but scenario you described seems likely. Sounds like i need to check each star-shaft bearing for free rotation? And that bushings/bearings are properly inserted in correct “groove”?
I have already discovered that the springs will go bx into shaft much easier if the cutter head is extended out.
BTW responses like yours are why I’m quickly becoming an arboristsite addict. Pic attached - outer tube looks like pulled out from base… maybe “clamping screws” on the underside of this base were not securely tightened? Thanks much! Will update.

Attachments

• 347C4CA5-8B48-49E1-8D97-245DEFA4FD0B.jpeg
    347C4CA5-8B48-49E1-8D97-245DEFA4FD0B.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 1
I remember the first one I re-assembled, It went quickly and smoothly. My second one was a nightmare, I obviously got lucky the first time.
After several hours, I was coated with aluminum grease, I finally got it together correctly.
What type grease do you recommend for shaft interior?

Oletrapper,
Much thanks and Agreed…. I was not there when it happened but scenario you described seems likely. Sounds like i need to check each star-shaft bearing for free rotation? And that bushings/bearings are properly inserted in correct “groove”?
I have already discovered that the springs will go bx into shaft much easier if the cutter head is extended out.
BTW responses like yours are why I’m quickly becoming an arboristsite addict. Pic attached - outer tube looks like pulled out from base… maybe “clamping screws” on the underside of this base were not securely tightened? Thanks much! Will update.
Howard, you will find that the large black shaft supports with the internal bearings will only go in the heavy tube one way. They are keyed. Be sure to check the splined drive shaft snap ring at the very end. Replace it if damaged or bent. Here is a good video of a pole saw in use. It's not a HT101 but the principles are the same. Go to around the 3 minute mark in the video to see proper cutting technique. Keep us posted on the progress. :cool: OT

Howard, you will find that the large black shaft supports with the internal bearings will only go in the heavy tube one way. They are keyed. Be sure to check the splined drive shaft snap ring at the very end. Replace it if damaged or bent. Here is a good video of a pole saw in use. It's not a HT101 but the principles are the same. Go to around the 3 minute mark in the video to see proper cutting technique. Keep us posted on the progress. :cool: OT

OleTrapper

Oletrapper … and others…. Extremely grateful for all the advice …..had a chainsaw friend help me and the HT101 is up and running… The videos and other graphics were exceedingly helpful… We went slowly and methodically….. loosen the screws on the base mount above the trigger slid the exterior shaft in and re-tighten the screws making certain everything was in alignment and drive key shafts were properly aligned with motor and with cutterhead… Just another reason I love this Aboriistsite forum. Grateful!!

Latest posts

Back