Stihl ID please: 064? 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaka

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Bought myself a christmaspresent today. Used old stihl chainsaw. Thought it was a 044-type, but after some further investigation i think it's rather a 064 or 066.
Problem is I can't tell... Silver plate on the top end is missing, and I can't locate the serial number (usually at the exaustport in the crankcase, but blank here).
I tried measuring the piston with a straw, showed 52mm. Has a lot of compression also, seem in good condition.
Carb is a Walbro WJ-65 751.
Any help or insight would be usefull and much appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
I hope I posted this in the right spot, i'm new around here.

Attachments

• DSC01789.JPG
    DSC01789.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC01790.JPG
    DSC01790.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC01791.JPG
    DSC01791.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC01792.JPG
    DSC01792.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC01793.JPG
    DSC01793.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I think 64 has smaller recoil

Originally they did have a thinner profile recoil- but nothing to stop a previous owner swapping the wide profile 066 one on if the pawls mate up with the flywheel fitted and if a later one used it gives the added bonus of elastostart handle (as this one does) for non decompression cylinders and cold starting.

It looks like the thin recoil to me. I guess that was better way to put it.
Recoils ive found to last well most the stihls ive had have the recoil that stihl put on it at the factory.
All bets are however off ounce us assers basterdize these saws with missmatched parts due to breakage or just cause where assers

Latest posts

Back