Stihl is certainly proud of their chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been very happy with my Woodland Pro/Carlton chain but thought I would pick up a loop of Stihl today and see what all the fuss is about. $24 for a 20" loop compared to $15 for Woodland Pro. I think I'll stick with WP. :mad:

:popcorn:

attachment.php

Sorry Wendell, I couldn't resist,LOL

i got a bunch of stihl chain that i bought years ago before they went ape-#### on the price. it is good chain. but it ain't that much better.

i think people get all hung up on the BMW/Benz marketing aspect.

a dollar or two more sure--but the asking price for stihl chains these days is just--well Mall-ninja ish.:greenchainsaw:

I have had similar exp. to most, I like the Stihl chain as well. I bought 2 20" loops of 3/8 .50 from my dealer this week for $ 33.67. First one is full price, 2nd is 1/2 off. That's been his standard for a few years now. A decent deal I think.

Headed out cuttin now. Have a good day.

I am in SW MI also. What Stihl dealer do you go to?

Wait till you start pricing out rolls of chain.

My dealers are asking $500 for a 100' roll of 3/8. I can get a 100' roll from Baileys for $150 of WP. Guess what chain I have in a roll.... Yea, Stihl chain is good, but not 2x better than anything else.

Huh? Catalog shows the couple WP chains that I checked at $249........

Screw your dealers. While I haven't bought 100 feet of Stihl chain in about a year, I've never paid over $225. Dunno what the price is now.

I suppose I could buy some chain for you guys.....You'd have to pay me more than list as I'd have to pay sales tax, and shipping to my place from Madsen's in southern Wa and then to you....

That said, this thread has me interested in getting some Woodland/Carlton chain. I have scads of chain, but could use a couple loops or 25 feet each of .404 for the 3120, and .043 for the little 192T's....and maybe some .325 to tide me over till my .325 bars wear out.....I'm phasing it out on my 3 cube saws.....

Last edited:
you just got to find someone who discounts it in your area. I get most 20" loops for $20, and 20" loops of .325 for $18.

Honestly, you're not going to find a better deal than baileys. Think about it. They're making their own private label, they're buying miles and a time, and they're one of the biggest (if not the biggest) mail order houses in the country. There's no way stihl is going to make a chain in switzerland, make an equivalent or better product, distribute it to all the little dealers, let them have their money, and get it to you for remotely close to bailey's.

At this point, I can get stihl for the same price ((more or less) as oregon locally, which is good enough for me. If I put it baileys order I'll get a few loops, but shipping for one or two loops doesnt make sense. I also iwsh they'd add the antivibe feature.

That's OK, Tom. If I lived closer to you I'd be happy to pay the extra just for the experience! :clap:

Just messing with ya. Chains are marked way up. There isn't much profit in the units so the accessories have to make up the differance in order to keep the lights on. I offer 30% off on chains if you will buy 4-5 at one time. That puts a 33RSC72 chain around 20.00. If I know ya and your a regular I never ask full list for a chain...

picked up two 32" loops of stihl chain yesterday for $21.25 each. As long as I can get that price I'll stick with it. Stihl chain has been my favorite of anything I've run as far as stretch and longevity. Have never tried woodlandpro, heard both good and bad about it, but factor in shipping, time to ship and taking a gamble on something I haven't used and it doesn't look that attractive to me.

I work at a Stihl dealer and we sell our chains for $2.00 over the bar length for the first one and half that for the second.

For example - 18" bar would be $20.00 for the first chain, $10.00 for the second. That goes for pretty much all of our chains except carbide tipped ones.

I work at a Stihl dealer and we sell our chains for $2.00 over the bar length for the first one and half that for the second.

For example - 18" bar would be $20.00 for the first chain, $10.00 for the second. That goes for pretty much all of our chains except carbide tipped ones.

this is much more in the ball-park price-wise. you could buy four 20" chains for $50= $12.50 each not counting tax--

I personally like total chain, but Stihl is a close second and I get RSC $19 for pre-made 84 DL 3/8 .058 from a local stihl dealer. How ya like me now!

:clap::clap:

Wait till you start pricing out rolls of chain.

My dealers are asking $500 for a 100' roll of 3/8. I can get a 100' roll from Baileys for $150 of WP. Guess what chain I have in a roll.... Yea, Stihl chain is good, but not 2x better than anything else.

Your dealer is a crook. We sell it for $285.00 per 100'. Any size except 1/4 and 404. And, it is 2x better, quaility wise. Too bad. Stihl has no control what the dealer sells it for.

Your dealer is a crook. We sell it for $285.00 per 100'. Any size except 1/4 and 404. And, it is 2x better, quaility wise. Too bad. Stihl has no control what the dealer sells it for.

You guys are below MSRP it looks like - we sell our reels for a bit more - but definitely nowhere near $500.

I just bought three 20" loops of Stihl RSC in 3/8 0.050 and paid 41.50 a loop plus tax, Canadian. :jawdrop:

This is the only saw shop in the area besides the John Deere who may or may not carry the chain.

Any Canadian or US dealer want a new customer?

I guess it was my first experience with WP chain. boss picked upa bunch of the full comp stuff. I was running a 660/25'' at the time. So I put a new loop on the saw one morning, gathered up all my stuff & hiked down to where i was cutting. Started with a nice red oak 40 or so inches in diameter. went to let the saw eat & it darn near fell off the tree, like when a chain is really dull. So I thought that was strange but kept cutting. after 10 seconds I realized that something was not right. the saw was barley cutting... So i re did all the teeth & lowered the drags. All that took about 20 minutes. it really ticked me off that I had to completely re do a brand new chain first thing. After I leave that pickup & get in the woods, I want to get down...
So after being filed, it cut alot faster, but it still felt like some old chipper chain compared to a stihl chain or even an oregon chain. It went dull quicker too, I noticed that the teeth where rather brittle as well. Some teeth had lost there corners, it looked like they had just fallen off no sign of hitting anything either.

i ran WP chain for about 3 months, never had fun with it. Il take some RSF or RSLF all day, its worth the extra $$s. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought three 20" loops of Stihl RSC in 3/8 0.050 and paid 41.50 a loop plus tax, Canadian. :jawdrop:

This is the only saw shop in the area besides the John Deere who may or may not carry the chain.

That's roughly the drive link price here in Australia too, and why most run Carlton or Windsor instead.

Wow. You're really getting reamed! I pay 20$ for 18" loops of .325 50 gauge and I thought that was bad. No deals, buy one loop or buy 20,same price,take it or leave it. Love to get some wlp from baileys but the shipping bites.....I'll say it again ,I love canada,but....LOL:givebeer:

OUCH!!! I just bought a 20" loop of 3/8 .058 from my Stihl dealer last week and it was $22.

You're taking it in the tail pipe!:dizzy:

I guess it was my first experience with WP chain. boss picked upa bunch of the full comp stuff. I was running a 660/25'' at the time. So I put a new loop on the saw one morning, gathered up all my stuff & hiked down to where i was cutting. Started with a nice red oak 40 or so inches in diameter. went to let the saw eat & it darn near fell off the tree, like when a chain is really dull. So I thought that was strange but kept cutting. after 10 seconds I realized that something was not right. the saw was barley cutting... So i re did all the teeth & lowered the drags. All that took about 20 minutes. it really ticked me off that I had to completely re do a brand new chain first thing. After I leave that pickup & get in the woods, I want to get down...
So after being filed, it cut alot faster, but it still felt like some old chipper chain compared to a stihl chain or even an oregon chain. It went dull quicker too, I noticed that the teeth where rather brittle as well. Some teeth had lost there corners, it looked like they had just fallen off no sign of hitting anything either.

i ran WP chain for about 3 months, never had fun with it. Il take some RSF or RSLF all day, its worth the extra $$s. . .

I agree but I've also had to file oregon and stihl right out of the box. It just depends if the idiot at the chain factory dressed the grinder wheel right that morning.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back