Stihl lightening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One picture and limited information. Does it start and run? Are there known problems that will determine what parts may be needed. It appears from the picture that it is an early model since no manual oiler and an old style starter. Parts can be found either original or aftermarket depending what is needed. What are your plans if you purchase it,completely restore or just getting it in some type of running shape. A lot of questions to think about.

I have more pictures but I would figure that this would be enough for somebody who knows what this saw is to give me a reply. It does start and run. I plan on restoring it completely but I would like to use it just for fun. 106 ccs would be a blast just for the heck of it

I have an early one very similar to your picture but the picture does not provide what internal condition is. The one I have started and ran but the chrome was coming off the cylinder. I had the cylinder recoated because I was having a problem finding a cylinder. Some parts are easier to find than others. If you want a Contra to have fun with then go for it. I enjoy running the one I have.

I have quite a few Contras, as stated before that is an early one with the green handle rubber (severely deteriorated like most are), no manual oiler, it has the correct early style fuel cap, be interesting to see if it has the closed top air filter as well. I have a small hoard of Contra parts if you get it and end up needing something.

Contra's are damn cool saws. Mine needs name few parts to be complete, like top cover, air filter, and that metal frame/cage thingie under the top cover but it runs hard and has a really clean OEM P/C. I love how they run, shake your bones a bit but their not scared of hard wood.

Thanks for your replies guys. I really want the saw but was a little reluctant because of availability of parts. It does seem to be pretty darn clean and I would like to make sure it is runnable and right. I'm buying it sight unseen and having it shipped so I'm making sure to ask all the right questions. Good compression good spark.

Latest posts

Back