Stihl M-tronic technology-is it worth it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjpaq

Reaction score
I am looking for a chainsaw to cut maybe 6 face cords of wood annually.
The dealer mentioned the M 261 which features the m-tronic technology. Is this worth it?

Mtronic is an onboard computer which from the Stihl website --> "With STIHL M-Tronic™, an onboard microprocessor digitally monitors and automatically compensates for changes in your work conditions including elevation, temperature, fuel quality, varying octane levels and dirty air filters."

It also allows the dealer to connect the machine and get diagnostic information on what may be not working correctly with the saw.

Thanks

It's a very well proven tech by now. Been running autotune and m-tronic since 2012. They had some issues early on, but the latest versions have been working just fine. It's really just a carb with a seliniod replacing the mix screws and a handful of sensors, which are integrated into the coil AFAIK. Few extra wires. Nothing to get excited about. My newest stihl is a little over 2 years old now and had been a fabulous running saw. I'm sure the 261 will serve you quite well.

I'm now down to one non-M-tronic saw. I've still got a 260 Pro that I love and will never get rid of. But all three of my other saws are M-tronic saws, and I like they just fine.

I've never been the best at tuning a saw myself. I'm able to tune them well enough to run pretty well, but never seem to quite get "all of it" (the absolute best performance) when I tune. So, the M-tronic has been very helpful for me. I never have to worry about tuning my saws anymore. Well, at least on those three saws.

Some old school guys wouldn't take an M-tronic saw for free, as they prefer to tune their saws themselves. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I like mine a lot though.

I can tune a saw pretty well by ear or with a tach. With M-tronic I don't have to. I don't even have to think about the carburetor tuning. It will always be right. I can just get to work. Getting work done is the point, right?

The one drawback and maybe it's not on the newer ones, is if I make some good cuts and immediately shut the saw off, then go to start it again a few minutes later, it will be too rich to start. Opening the throttle takes care of it but a better way is to let the saw idle for 5-10 seconds before shutting it off. I had gotten in the habit of making a felling cut and shutting the saw off immediately as I'm walking away.

Depends if your primay concern is usability or serviceability. The principal technology is great but manufacturers have done a good job of making it proprietary. Diagnosis & repair of ignition & carburetor issues will often have to go through an authorised agent with the software etc (& the ability to use it). These parts are also more expensive to replace & that can be the go to fix for some repairers.
If you want the benefits that come with the tech just make sure you have a good local service agent. If you like to do your own work it may not be so ideal

Paying twice the price for M-tronic saws seems pointless when there are so many non-M-tronic saws that run flawlessly. But, if you want to brag to anyone else that you have one on board, go ahead an pay the piper, Just MHO.
Twice the money? That's BS. The non MTRONIC Stihls are only slightly cheaper.
And given the average guy can't tune a carb to save his life the number of "flawlessly" running saws are few and fare between.

The cost difference is very minimal.

I have recently become a huge fan of Mtronic, I now have a 241C,261C and 362C. They are all flawless in running and seem to always be “right”. I’m a good tuner but that little module is better and can adjust in the cut.

I don’t believe there’s any difference between price whether it’s Moronic or adjustable. Any Mtronic saw is also available in a carbed model except for the 400. If you don’t mind tuning, go adjustable. If you’re not good at it, go mtronic.

Back