Just wanted to say thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormulaZR

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here. Just wanted to say thank you for the collective knowledge of the forums helping direct me to the purchase of my first saw.

I work for a property management company in West Tx with a few hundred properties. We don't always trim/cut trees, but when we do it's 8 hours a day several days/weeks in a row until it's done. The company owns a Stihl HT131 which is great (for its intended application) and Poulan Pro 4218 that I would like to throw off a cliff. Many, many days I would go home just wrecked because the PP just wore me out. Not sure if the Oregon chains or the saw itself were the problem. Just seemed like even with a new chain it would make 2 or 3 good cuts and then just make saw dust and struggle from there - especially in the mesquite. The Stihl HT131 works great, and often gets used in place of the PP since it seems to cut when the PP is being moody. So - I decided a "new" saw in the 18" range at my expense would be worth not eating Aleve like TicTacs. I saw Husqvarna made the PP on the sticker - so honestly, I ruled Husky out immediately. I'm not saying those are related directly, but I words can't express how much I hate that PP (and the HT131 just flat works). Anyway, thanks to you fine folks - I picked up a used Stihl MS261C a couple weeks ago for the sum of $250. I then went to my local Stihl dealer and got a new chain (18" Stihl RM since I do cut stumps at times) and replaced the missing chip deflector. I just can't thank you guys enough for the advice you have provided to others on this forum previously that helped me make a saw decision. I had looked at a million different Stihl's - thinking the 251 would probably do what I wanted, but then the 271 must be better because of the bigger number. But no, the 261 is a "pro" saw with some features those don't have. And then...the M-tronic carb seemed like it was well liked - so I very specifically sought an MS261 C-M (MS261 C in my case) out.

Fast forward to a solid week of use later (about 30 hours of actual run time on the saw) - and when I go home, I feel worked, but not wrecked. The difference is night and day and I just could not be happier. Kind of on the fence on the muffler mod - just since this is used in a community and I'm concerned about the noise.

Biggest takeaway of this post: a Poulan Pro 4218 can get run 8hrs a day on a regular basis without blowing up!

Not arguing that it's anywhere as good a saw as your new-to-you Stihl, but I bet that Poulan just needs some carb adjustments.

You may be right. But many months ago I did order that magic splined screwdriver to adjust the PP. Worked on that saw for hours. Even brought it home to work on it. Seemed I could never get it to run right for more than about an hour. I've never been so defeated by a 2 stroke engine before. It never ran for 8 hours, maybe 3 - then I would give up and use the HT131 and a handsaw. You know that scene in "Office Space" where they beat up the copier or printer or whatever it is? My wet dream is dropping that PP off the side of a cruise ship in the middle of the Atlantic.

Latest posts

Back