Stihl Magnum 038 will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best to presure and vac test to see if thers air leaks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

You would benefit ALOT by using the search and do some reading on this site. There are many different articles to learn from and while you are reading on scored cylinders and pistons look into how to clean up aluminum transfer (from piston) off of your cylinder you may save the jug/cylinder. but if you are going to fix this saw you need to find what caused the problem or it will happen again.

You have been a "LURKER" since 2012 and You haven't succumbed to CAD yet... some of us here might be wondering if we are getting our chains yanked. Hang in there and you will probably get that saw running again. There is a lot of good advice to learn from

Mastermind has an excelent video on aluminum transfer removal. Just youtube it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Pressure/vac test find problem then fix cylinder or buy new and get new piston and rings
Muffler off and here are the pics. The cylinder walls look shiny, pretty much no serious scoring. One shot is from the spark plug hole the other is from the exhaust port hole. The piston has fine vertical scratches no deep scoring. View attachment 765334 View attachment 765335 View attachment 765336
Looks like you straight gassed the saw, the piston has no carbon on the top what oil mix do you use and what brand of oil

Thank you all for your insights. It looks like I need to dig into this problem more and do some reading. The saw is old, I picked it up new in the mid - 90's and have milled countless of board feet of lumber and cleaned up after 3 hurricanes. It has been a dependable work horse. Once I get this saw running again I'll post the problem.

Things i have replaced on my 038 magnum carb kit,a needle baring,air cleaner, bars, fuel filter and new muffler, other than what ive mentioned its been a great saw over the years.

Latest posts

Back