STIHL Master Control Lever Changes and Variations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I might be a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but I just noticed some changes in the STIHL 'Master Control Lever' kill / run / half choke ('warm start') / full choke ('cold start') switch. Thought I'd open it up for comment.

One of the nice things about STIHL's consistency was that it made it easy to train people on their saws. Aside from the weight, power, and length of their bars, they all pretty much worked the same. They all (mostly) had the same, 4-position 'Master Control Lever' (it sounds better if you say it with a creepy, Peter Lorre voice):
Screen shot 2015-09-07 at 8.51.07 PM.png
MS240 MCL.jpg
(Classic markings on an 024 Super).

I realized, using some newer models, that M-Tronic saws now have only 3 positions, which, though different, should make things easier, right?

photo 1.jpg
(MS 261 C-M ?)

What surprised me, at a recent State Fair display, was that some (but not all) 3-position control levers, now default to the 'always on' ('idiot-proof') position: raising it to the 'Off' position is momentary - a spring returns it to the 'Run' position when released.

photo 6.jpg

This was a little bit of a concern to me, because I have managed to prove the 'idiot-proof' concept wrong on newer Husqvarna saws several times, by choking and flooding them. Also, because I had not noticed this feature before on any STIHL saws.

Then, I noticed the MS 150 C-E, which appears to have a 3-position Master Control Lever, plus a separate choke control above the primer valve. The regional rep was a bit confused too, because the lowest position of the Master Control Lever appears to show a choke symbol, and because he admitted that they do not sell a lot of these, due to the price.

Fortunately, someone else stopping by the booth had used a MS 150, and 'we agreed' that the bottom position was really the 'start' or 'high idle' position, and just poorly marked.

photo 3.jpg

Philbert

Actually, there is no "1/2 choke" position on a Stihl. The choke is fully open in all but the lowest position on the lever. (at least on all the models I've had)

Thanks philbert now i have peter lorre saying master control leaver in a creepy voice stuck in my head.
peter_lorre_m.jpg

STIHL TS500i

"A cut-off machine with the world’s first electronically controlled fuel-injection system . . . "

View attachment 445971

Philbert
Yeah that's the machine it uses a solenoid to meter the fuel and pumps the fuel with a diaphragm run off the crank case pressure. It's a great machine and very reliable for the dirty environment it operates in

You or we could also discuss what can and can not be done depending on whether the safety or operator present lever on the handle is held in. I forget which which way buy stihl vs husky that I have one needs that in to go to choke and the other needs it not in.

Latest posts

Back