Stihl MS 180 Oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birleyfold

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought (a nearly new!!!) MS 180 and it has an oiler problem. No oil is pumped when running. Even with the blade and chain removed no oil comes out of the oil hole. I am just about to try to swill out the oil tank with petrol, but suspect this may be a mechanical fault.

Have read many posts on similar problems and would like to request following help:

I'm looking for a workshop manual that details the contruction so I can have the thing apart. Can anybody suggest any links? Or pictures of the assembly? Any help would really be apreaciated.

Secondly, I understand that some of the gubbins I need to get to lie behind the clutch - how is the clutch removed? Is it a left hand thread or is it keyed?
Many thanks

Try this

After rinsing the tank well, get some carburetter cleaner and spray it in the oiler outlet hole in the bar mount, Then use a blow gun with compressed air to see if you can get air to clear the oil passage. The 180 I believe has an inboard clutch with an E clip retaining the drum no?

The clutch is reverse threaded (right to undo).

If the saw is nearly new, and even if you aren't the original owner, it may still be under warranty. I don't know what the warranty is in the U.K., but it's 12 months in the USA.

The most common oiler failure in the 180 type saws is if someone has run it with the brake on, burned up the clutch drum and melted out the case around the oil pump.

It seemed there was a blockage in the oil tank, but after clearing that it still did not oil. Tried blowing through oil hole no luck there either. I liked the idea of warranty - but the guy I bought it from as 'NEW' now tells me it was second hand - what a numpty!!

So I really need some sort of workshop manual if anybody can help me. I think I need to remove clutch (noted as left hand thread) and the gubbins behind that runs the pump. And the pump maybe.

Any help?

Sthil doesn't sell their manuals to users, in part I suspect, to protect their shops by keeping them busy.
The good news is, oil pumps are simple devices.
You need to remove the clutch, and there it is. The search function of this site will give you many hits on clutch removal.
Most pump systems are the same, a pump, a hose going to the tank, another hose going to the bar, and some devive that spins the pump.
Once the clutch is off and you clean up all the saw dust, you'll be able to see all the works.
If you get stuck, come on back and ask.

You can get a service manual from your dealer... or someone on AS will likely have a copy..

Check for case damage under the clutch, right side.

Maybe so, but go ask your dealer... They have a lot of discretion.

The website notice was put up when the downloads and requests for IPLS were removed (earlier this year) due to guys reselling them on ebay.

Wouldn't it have been easier to put up the information on the web, like almost every other manufacturing company in the world?
Don't get me wrong, I think it's good Stihl protects it's dealers, that's why there are so many good old dealers. Look at Husky, great saws, but no parts or service, mostly because they don't protect their dealers.
Please don't try to sugar coat it though.

OK it seems that the Stihl manuals are protected better that 'Top Secret', shame that, just trying to fix my saw, and a simple sketch would have helped me a tad. Don't have the cash to keep the Stihl agents employed. No worries dismantling continues....

Anyway, many thanks for all the other useful advise - much appreaciated. This is a great site.
Thanks
PS

My 3 year boy loves the yoyo icon - so this is for you Jake
:yoyo:

MS 180 Oiler Problem

Dear All,

Thanks to DanF I now have both parts and workshop manual.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards Birelyfold

MS 180 oil problem

Finally got it to oil.

Now having the manual I was partway through dismantling it when I realised that I did not have the special tool to lock the piston while undoing the clutch - dooh. If any body has a picture of the special tool I would like to see it - just in case I need it in the future.

Anyway, I thought I would look again at the oil feed pipe and notice no oil in the base of the pump! Now I had previously though, well I'm certain, that there was a blockage in it, so I gave the pipe a blow. Well immediately oil started to flow back out of it. I should point out that I had not emptied the oil from the tank so I must have slightly pressurized the tank forcing oil out. I quickly re-plumbed the oil pipe and left it for a day as the wife had a birthday party on.

So a day later, I thought I would just give it one more go, it fired up and pumped oil immediately!!

So, with hindsight, I guess it may have been an air lock after all this.

Thanks to all that helped me with this post

Numpty???? Gubbins?????

birleyfold said:
It seemed there was a blockage in the oil tank, but after clearing that it still did not oil. Tried blowing through oil hole no luck there either. I liked the idea of warranty - but the guy I bought it from as 'NEW' now tells me it was second hand - what a numpty!!

So I really need some sort of workshop manual if anybody can help me. I think I need to remove clutch (noted as left hand thread) and the gubbins behind that runs the pump. And the pump maybe.

Any help?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

birleyfold said:
Finally got it to oil.

Now having the manual I was partway through dismantling it when I realised that I did not have the special tool to lock the piston while undoing the clutch - dooh. If any body has a picture of the special tool I would like to see it - just in case I need it in the future.

In the field if i have no tool wich is only i bit of plastic rod with a half inch circular flair on the end,ill use starter cord doubled over put in the pot and pull saw over untill it bites on piston to remove the clutch...

Latest posts

Back