Stihl MS 180c headed for firing squad, unless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Years ago, my brother and I bought a Stihl MS180c for our dad, who was in his 90's and still incredibly vigorous. The saw was hard to start from the day we bought it. It's remained hard to start to this day, long after my dad has been gone. He had it serviced at Stihl dealers a couple of times, trying to fix the problem. I've done the same since I inherited it. I installed a new Stihl carb, new lines, etc etc. Despite all this, it takes 24 pulls to get it started if the temp is below about 40. No exaggeration, I've counted. So my fellow Arboristi, do I put this abomination of a machine up against a wall and execute it? Or what? PS: My brother bought a new MS180c with ez start last year and gave me this POS old MS 180C. His new 180 starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. Of course.

Years ago, my brother and I bought a Stihl MS180c for our dad, who was in his 90's and still incredibly vigorous. The saw was hard to start from the day we bought it. It's remained hard to start to this day, long after my dad has been gone. He had it serviced at Stihl dealers a couple of times, trying to fix the problem. I've done the same since I inherited it. I installed a new Stihl carb, new lines, etc etc. Despite all this, it takes 24 pulls to get it started if the temp is below about 40. No exaggeration, I've counted. So my fellow Arboristi, do I put this abomination of a machine up against a wall and execute it? Or what? PS: My brother bought a new MS180c with ez start last year and gave me this POS old MS 180C. His new 180 starts 1st or 2nd pull every time. Of course.
Is the choke closing all the way?

Don’t “firing squad “ it!
Rotate the trims (high). & (Low) all the way clockwise- to return it to a baseline.
- then turn them the other way a turn + a quarter.
This is wht_i did for my 026. Got it going. But you’ll prob.
nd to throw in NEW corrctGappedSparkplug
Call:SxTenArea
&ni,tree,won,too,wonSxAte
(saws can be a bear...the carbs etc...but Kp trying_
-other variables potentially too)...Hollar a hoagi

Worth taking the carb off and then take the boot clamp off, and remove the intake boot off the cyllinder, making sure the impulse nipple that is part of the intake boot is not squashed where it mounts to the cyld, you will see the impulse hole in the cylinder intake next to the air intake, it could have been an assembly issue from the start.

check carb base, and where it fits to the intake area of the cylinder, take photos and get back to us with them.

Does your MS180 have the full adjustable carburetor?
My first guess is that the Low jet is set too lean.
How well does it run after you get it started?
Does it bog when you give it full throttle when at idle?
... actually, can you give some thoughts about that bog down thing? That seems to be a trademark occurrence that I've run into at times with my saws.(026 and an18 inch homelite from the early 2000's). Some days they just seem to hv a mind of their own. Not too much mind you. But some days they will be idling fine and I've let them just hum a little before revving and getting into some wood. But whn_ I feel they've warmed up enough, I go to do the quick throttle and there's that bog down thing. Is that specifically the "L"?
-- ...where I should just turn it ever so slightly counter?
--...& sometimes,(most times) the saw will be chewing into stock well, (20 min intervals of cutting) and then it might bog unexpectedly as I go into some limb. (And I tell you) I never force a saw into wood. I always just let it cut at its pace. Thanks for input

do you use your saws regularly, or are they occasional use.
if occasional use, dried up fuel oil mix can change the air fuel ratio at the jets/ needles if a bit of it gets stuck, then dissolves in the high low needle areas or idle drillings etc.

if all ok, the 026 can be a bit sensitive to adjustments, and have fuel pool in the intake boot causing that.
Or you could try richening up the L needle a bit (turning counter clockwise 1/8, or less) and see if it removes the bog.
but if its idling at 2400 and it should be up at 2800, it can bog off that low idle too, so could be many things.
hope that helps a bit.

do you use your saws regularly, or are they occasional use.
if occasional use, dried up fuel oil mix can change the air fuel ratio at the jets/ needles if a bit of it gets stuck, then dissolves in the high low needle areas or idle drillings etc.

if all ok, the 026 can be a bit sensitive to adjustments, and have fuel pool in the intake boot causing that.
Or you could try richening up the L needle a bit (turning counter clockwise 1/8, or less) and see if it removes the bog.
but if its idling at 2400 and it should be up at 2800, it can bog off that low idle too, so could be many things.
hope that helps a bit.
Thanks man. I will see if a shake...( a stir ) of the fuel tank offers a remedy. Then I will pay special attention (my ear) to turning a bit counter clock. Might I ask you another question?

Thanks man. I will see if a shake...( a stir ) of the fuel tank offers a remedy. Then I will pay special attention (my ear) to turning a bit counter clock. Might I ask you another question?
Not sure shaking it will do any good, what I was talking about was the dried fuel mix residue that can be left in the carbs inner passages, and that can affect tune until the new fuel mix finally dissolves the old fuel residue in time.
bit richer on the L can help sometimes, but if not put it back where it was.
yeah ask away, but Im off to bed now, so will reply tomorrow

Latest posts

Back