Stihl MS 250 Good Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not brand loyal and knock on wood I have had good luck with every saw that I have ever owned. I like trying different brands & models and recently bought a Stihl MS 250, it is stock I bought it used ($195.00) as I don't know how to "mod" them but it is a nice running saw just the same. I was skeptical about them flippy type gas & oil caps but I really like them.

Last edited:
I like running them just keep the chain sharp and fresh fuel in them and your good to go :msp_wink:

Do a MM to it and it will really wake up for ya

Here a couple MS 250

DSC_9345.jpg

I have a late model 025 and like it very well. Mine is .325 X 16". It goes along with my other 3 cube saws when I got to the woods.

I like running them just keep the chain sharp and fresh fuel in them and your good to go :msp_wink:

Do a MM to it and it will really wake up for ya

Here a couple MS 250

DSC_9345.jpg
As I say I don't know anything about mod'ing saws but I am guessing that MM means muffler mod. Is that something fairly easy to do, I will probably leave it as it as because my luck I would goof something up.

Last edited:
i like them,, i completely rebuilt this one and i really like running it,, its my go to saw for smaller stuff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c4TgcI6D2zE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 025/250 is the largest of Stihl's homeowner classification.

The 029/290 - 039/390 saws are classified as intermediate though they are made much like the 250.

The 026/260 and 036/360 come in regular and pro versions or did at one time. They are a all metal design but have a plastic gas tank/rear handle.

Wasn't meant to be a Stihl thread, I am one to give credit where credit is due and I feel the 250 is a really good little saw. I have owned & used Poulan, Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, Efco, and Dolmar, and they were all good saws. I would say the Jonsered (2150 Turbo) and the Dolmar (PS 420) were my favorites followed by the Echo CS 4400, the Efco (940) was ok but seemed cheaper quality than the others. I would love to try some other brands RedMax, Tanaka, Solo, but there are no dealers around my area. If I had to choose between a Stihl and a Husky I would go with Stihl, (sorry SawTroll) but would probably get a Jonsered if I had the $$$ to get whatever I wanted.

Last edited:
If I had to choose between a Stihl and a Husky I would go with Stihl, (sorry SawTroll) but would probably get a Jonsered if I had the $$$ to get whatever I wanted.

:confused: Isn't Jonsered the red Husqvarna ? so why would you take Sthil over Husqvarna and Jonsered over both ?

I have the MS250 and like it a bunch.

Keep the chain sharp, and the air filter clean, run good fresh fuel and mix, and the darn thing will run forever.

Keep an eyeball on the fuel lines for micro cracks that leak air though, it seems to be the 250's achilles heel.

Ours got thrashed forever, and treated like a rented mule the whole time. It got cleaned when the quad got cleaned, using the pressure washer, and lived a hard life bungeed to the Farm quad. Stupid thing still blows a 130, but is parked due to another fuel line air leak, and waiting a slow day to tinker it back to health. It owes us nothing.

They have thier quirks to tinkering them, but thankfully, having to do so isn't frequent.;)
Good little saw. I hope you can wear it out with honest use.:rock:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:confused: Isn't Jonsered the red Husqvarna ? so why would you take Sthil over Husqvarna and Jonsered over both ?

I have the MS250 and like it a bunch.
Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, etc. are all GM but I will take a Buick any day over the others. They say Husky and Jonsered are the same I am not sure, I do know that my brother and I each bought a new Husqvarna 350 the same day, his had more power than mine, he couldn't keep a muffler on his and mine even though not as powerful never had a problem with the muffler. I just liked the feel, the way it worked, and everything else about the Jonsered better. Why I would take a Stihl over a Husky is from comparing the MS 250 that I now have with the Husky 350 that I used to have. I would not say any brand saw is bad it is just a matter of what a person likes.

borrowed one from a friend with a 14" b/c was a great little lightweight saw for working in blow downs

The 025/250 is the largest of Stihl's homeowner classification.

The 029/290 - 039/390 saws are classified as intermediate though they are made much like the 250.

The 026/260 and 036/360 come in regular and pro versions or did at one time. They are a all metal design but have a plastic gas tank/rear handle.

Stihl just classify all their larger consumer ("homeowner") saws as "intermediate", they no longer make any "semipro" saws.

Last edited:
I personally don't own a 250 but a buddy of mine does. he uses it to cut down his trailers
and as a ground saw. A few chains bars and filters and its still kickin'

Back