stihl ms 250 or echo CS-400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trx300man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I received some awesome advice from this site over a year ago on a log splitter. Hopefully I can do it again.We are on our second year of a Hardy outdoor wood burning furnace. So I get to cut firewood. I am on a tight budget so I can't go much over the $300 mark at this time. Even if I want to. The chain saw will be used for clearing atv trails and firewood for the outdoor furnace. I have a lawn care business, but don't use the chainsaw enough on it to make a difference. What are the pros and cons of these two saws? I must say that in the past I was always an echo man. But lately just have not had much luck with them. I currently own all sthil trimmers and blowers in my biz. I have had good luck with them. I also see I can get the ms 250 with the toolless chain adjuster, and supposed easier start for a tad more. Upon searching this site it appears not all stihl toolless chain adjusters are created equal. some like them on some models but not others. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't fart around. Get a pro quality saw with a metal crankcase. The price difference from an MS250 up to a 50cc professional built saw is not much. If you gotta pick from the 250 or echo get the Stihl.

I know what you mean. I need the saw yesterday. I have alot to do right now. I really want the stihl wood boss. but it is $429. I simply cannot come up with that much. I want to but cant. And once my sons sports fees come due, I wont even have the 300 bucks I have now. I have always bought commercial in the past. But I cant right now.

I has a cs400 and loved it tell it got stolen. Replaced it with a ported ms290 and hate it. Its got a little more power but i weights a lot more and not as easy to use. The echo always started easryer as well. Chains were cheaper as well and cheap ones could be had anywhere

The 260 and 261 would be the smallest with that style. I like Stihls but I do like the cs 400. Get it tuned correctly.

I can"t speak to the echo. But I have the ms250, it has given many years of dependable service. Very lite weight for the power.

The 260 and 261 would be the smallest with that style. I like Stihls but I do like the cs 400. Get it tuned correctly.

024, MS240 and MS241 as well! :msp_rolleyes:

Who cares about Echo - they make only crap anyway! :msp_rolleyes:

The MS250 is a pos "el cheepo" plastic saw, but still better than an Echo!

Last edited:
The 400 would be a better choice. No one that's run a 400 has had bad things to say about them while the 250 has had mixed reviews, including my own.

I think I am starting to lean a tad more toward the cs-400. I have been searching and have not found much negative about them, plus the dealer for them here doesn't try to make me feel stupid when I am in there.

Well I bought one. I talked to a dealer who sold echo stihl and husky. I only had 300 I could spend. I went with an echo cs-270. I hope I did ok if not oh well too late now. I cut for about 45 minutes yesterday. The only thing I dislike so far is it is somewhat cold natured and wants to bog alittle if you try to cut immediatley. But let it warm for 20 or 30 seconds and it runs and cuts great.

Did your dealer pull the limiter caps and adjust it, if not someone should. On the other hand a lot of saws are a little cold blooded for the first minute, it should not bog very easy in the cut after it's warmed up, if it does it needs more fuel on the high jet for sure. Steve

Well I bought one. I talked to a dealer who sold echo stihl and husky. I only had 300 I could spend. I went with an echo cs-270. I hope I did ok if not oh well too late now. I cut for about 45 minutes yesterday. The only thing I dislike so far is it is somewhat cold natured and wants to bog alittle if you try to cut immediatley. But let it warm for 20 or 30 seconds and it runs and cuts great.

Did you get a 270 or 370? The 270 isn't on their website.

I honestly don't know if he did or not. Don't really understand all that stuff. Once it is warmed up and cutting I don't remember it bogging. Maybe once.

The 400 would be a better choice. No one that's run a 400 has had bad things to say about them while the 250 has had mixed reviews, including my own.
My Cs-400 sucks. Nothing but problems and no one can fix it. Very frustrating and has 20 hours or less. I’m sure some are fine but please don’t say none have issues. Lol

Back