Stihl ms 310 wake up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open up the muffler or get a bigger saw, what did expect out of a 4 hp saw. I didn't think it was all that bad, a buddy opened up his muffler at it runs pretty good.

I did a muffler mod to mine, and it helped out a LOT. Make sure you remove the limiters and open up the fuel, if not you will be too lean and trash the saw.

The most common hopup is the removal of restrictions in flow in the muffler.

The design of the motor limits full on modification, to go for gains it is difficult to increase the compression. Which in turn means you need to look for other limitations. How does the intake tract line up, are you getting wot? You could clean up the carb venturi, How about opening up the airbox and covering the holes with some prefilter material. I would definately look at some ignition timing, 3 degrees to start with some high test mix. Testing is key with ignition timing, what does it do to starting, how is the head temp, and then did it help or hurt my cut time? Now if you want to go crazy on the saw you can augment the ports some. I don't know if the effort would be worth the return on this saw but it is possible.

My 310 with a little bit of opening on the muffler is great. I use Stihl RS chain and have the rakers just a bit low. The saw pulls into the wood and cuts with no problem in all the hard oak I can feed it.

Hal

i use a 20"bar, skip chain & 93+octane all the time. i have, so far, as of last week end, been able to get into a 18/25" wet red oak & a 22" maple. my big saw broke a clutch spring and left me hangin'.

I opened my muffler a little. I only messed with the exhaust opening, I have recently learned though that I should have also played with the "screen" on the inside of the muffler as well. Luckly I have another muffler I can play with. I like my 310, no matter the other opinions, it runs well cuts well and does the job. But I did just go buy a Solo 681, so I guess it wasn't all I needed!:chainsaw:

How do you go about removing the limiter caps in the carb? Mybuddy dropped off his 310 cuz it wasnt running right, after tearing half the darn thing apart I found a cracked fuel line right where it comes out of the tank (working on this saw makes me appreciate my 044). Anyways, I noticed how small the holes were on the muffler, and was gonna open it up some for him, but need to get the limiter caps off the carb first....

I opened my muffler a little. I only messed with the exhaust opening, I have recently learned though that I should have also played with the "screen" on the inside of the muffler as well. Luckly I have another muffler I can play with. I like my 310, no matter the other opinions, it runs well cuts well and does the job. But I did just go buy a Solo 681, so I guess it wasn't all I needed!:chainsaw:

Please elaborate on the screen part if you would....

How do you go about removing the limiter caps in the carb? Mybuddy dropped off his 310 cuz it wasnt running right, after tearing half the darn thing apart I found a cracked fuel line right where it comes out of the tank (working on this saw makes me appreciate my 044). Anyways, I noticed how small the holes were on the muffler, and was gonna open it up some for him, but need to get the limiter caps off the carb first....

there is a tool u use but if you can get in there with needle nose there is a slot that in the carb get every thing lined up an give her a yank should do it

I used a sheet rock screw , screw it in an pluck em out ,go to your dealer buy new ones cut tabs off install

can anyone pm me a pic of removing the limiters i broke my wrist an have nothing to do so my saws sitting in the basement with a brand new chain i wana do a muff mod like the one someone had with a small what looked to be 3/4 pipe sticking out the side so if anyone can pm me pics of removing the limiters or other muff mods or anything i could really use the help thanks:)

Back